Going Uphill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

Going uphill on a main single carriage road, cars passing too close for any sort of comfort. What do you do??

I tried being in the center of the lane, but cars just cut me off too quickly when passing, mainly because there was not enough of a gap to overtake in the first place. Tried secondary, and that was dangerous and an open invitation to be pushed in to the gutter.

Ended up walking a mile pushing the bike on the pavement. That was the only safe way I could think of at the time.

Road in question is the A129, going from Wickford to Billericay, going up Crays Hill.

If it wasn't for the cars, I would of been reasonably happy crawling up there in lowest gear at around 6 to 7mph. However, not to be, and the occasional gust didn't give any confidence either:sad:

walker

Can you not take another route David? I would take that option even if it's a little longer

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

walker said:
Can you not take another route David? I would take that option even if it's a little longer

Yes, I can avoid that road almost completely. However, still leaves the question of going uphill on busy single carriage roads. I can't avoid them all, at least not all the time.

monnet

Guru
In that situation I tend to ride in a secondary primary position, if that makes sense. Basically, at the 'border' of primary and secondary, but just in the primary zone. It's far from ideal but it gives the traffic the room it impatiently needs and gives you a bit of an escape route. It doesn't always get you the space you need but it's definitely better than the other options.

PrettyboyTim

Could you attach a safety reflector arm to your bike?

RFSVH6.jpg

Clip it to the end of of your right handlebar when you're going up the road.

Bigtallfatbloke

Road in question is the A129, going from Wickford to Billericay, going up Crays Hill.

Crays hill is one of the steeper hills around here. When I have ridden up it it has been in th emiddle of theday and I havent had too much traffic compared to say Noak hill road for example.

I dont give in to cars bullying me to get round. I leave at least 3' between me and the curb, wear a hi vis jacket and just go for it. The first time i went up there I got 75 % up then decided to walk on the pavement. Next time (this time i had four panniers on board) I made it all the way up by using the triple cog and really going for it at the bottom of the hill, dropping down through the gears and remaining seated...pulling on the bars as and when helped.

Bottom line is you have as much right to be on that road as any of the idiots in their tin cans...unless you virtually stop I say just ignore the peasants and keep going...give them an inch and they'll do their best to kill you...don't give them an inch. If all else fails a single fingered salute won't help but it will make you feel better.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

PrettyboyTim said:
Could you attach a safety reflector arm to your bike?

Clip it to the end of of your right handlebar when you're going up the road.

Yes, and given what I have seen since I started cycling around here, it would be pulled off the bike within a few days by a passing Chav car load.

I do get cars passing very slowly and taking pictures of the bike as they do often. Recumbents are few and far between around here. This was very different though, as all the car drivers were in their lunch break probably, and is the first time that I didn't feel at all safe on the road.

col

Legendary Member
Your always going to hold traffic up at some point,stands to reason,we are slow compared to cars ect.But most drivers understand,the minority dont.I wonder how many of us would be impatient if pedestrians were in our way,after all they have as much right on the road as us.:evil:

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Crays hill is one of the steeper hills around here. When I have ridden up it it has been in th emiddle of theday and I havent had too much traffic compared to say Noak hill road for example.

I dont give in to cars bullying me to get round. I leave at least 3' between me and the curb, wear a hi vis jacket and just go for it. The first time i went up there I got 75 % up then decided to walk on the pavement. Next time (this time i had four panniers on board) I made it all the way up by using the triple cog and really going for it at the bottom of the hill, dropping down through the gears and remaining seated...pulling on the bars as and when helped.

Bottom line is you have as much right to be on that road as any of the idiots in their tin cans...unless you virtually stop I say just ignore the peasants and keep going...give them an inch and they'll do their best to kill you...don't give them an inch. If all else fails a single fingered salute won't help but it will make you feel better.

I was never very good with hand signals;)

Generally, I have not had any problem with cars, etc. I do go between secondary and primary, depending on road circumstances, and just about always in primary once the speed goes up to 20mph plus.

I have no choice but to remain seated while cycling, being on a recumbent. Spinning is the only way, and Crays Hill was the reason for being on that road to see what it was like...........

Well, I COULD ride it, but won't go up Crays Hill again until I am much fitter and can maintain a higher speed up it. There are plenty of hills around here on minor country roads that the GPS knows about. Will stay with Brock Hill for my main hill training I think.

Top Bottom