Gold as an investment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The OP doesn’t want stocks but it might be useful to know approx how much he has to invest and at what level of risk. He’s a retiree which I guess might influence whether he would be willing to lose money
True. Although the fact that he's interested in gold suggests that he's looking for an extremely high level of risk! Perhaps bitcoin or etherium might suit? Or a trip to Las Vegas? (Those, emphatically, are not sensible suggestions).

I find it very odd that people think that investing in the real economy is highly risky - especially just after prices have fallen - but gambling on the future value of a precious metal isn't.

As it happens I'm looking for a home for some money, and looking at various bond and equity investment funds. Almost all of them are sitting about where they were three or four years ago. My best guess is that the next two or three years are going to be torrid, but on average I'll come out ahead - especially if I drip-feed the money in rather than try and guess when the bottom of the market happens. I'm more interested in the next five or ten years.

vickster

Legendary Member
True. Although the fact that he's interested in gold suggests that he's looking for an extremely high level of risk! Perhaps bitcoin or etherium might suit? Or a trip to Las Vegas? (Those, emphatically, are not sensible suggestions).

I find it very odd that people think that investing in the real economy is highly risky - especially just after prices have fallen - but gambling on the future value of a precious metal isn't.

As it happens I'm looking for a home for some money, and looking at various bond and equity investment funds. Almost all of them are sitting about where they were three or four years ago. My best guess is that the next two or three years are going to be torrid, but on average I'll come out ahead - especially if I drip-feed the money in rather than try and guess when the bottom of the market happens. I'm more interested in the next five or ten years.
I’ve opened a shares isa with Vanguard based on the feedback on this forum, they have several options for funds depending on risk. Will probably shovel some of that fixed term cash isa across to that

Milzy

Guru
Silver will have a better return on investment and is easier to sell than gold if you need some money one day.

Furkz

Über Member
Buy stainless steel Rolex

IaninSheffield

Veteran
My best guess is that the next two or three years are going to be torrid, but on average I'll come out ahead - especially if I drip-feed the money in rather than try and guess when the bottom of the market happens. I'm more interested in the next five or ten years.
Asking for a friend ;) ...
I see the wisdom in this, but won't 'drip-feeding' into a bonds/equity fund incur fees at each feeding point which eat away at the overall value of the portfolio? Or are the gains to be made likely to beat the costs over time?

srw

Asking for a friend ;) ...
I see the wisdom in this, but won't 'drip-feeding' into a bonds/equity fund incur fees at each feeding point which eat away at the overall value of the portfolio? Or are the gains to be made likely to beat the costs over time?
It depends on the fee structure.

Most funds have percentage fees, so it won't make a difference. The particular platform I'm looking at charges a fixed fee per month and allows regular saving for a single flat fee.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
It depends on the fee structure.

Most funds have percentage fees, so it won't make a difference. The particular platform I'm looking at charges a fixed fee per month and allows regular saving for a single flat fee.
Much appreciated. I'll look out I'll advise my friend to look out for that.

Drago

Legendary Member
I dumped my trading funds into oil about 5 weeks ago when it hit rock bottom and it's just starting to edge up now. If it returns to its pore virus levels - and it will, just a matter of exactly when - i'll have made over 40%. As aforementioned elsewhere, I don't work so can whip out my tablet every 2 minutes to check, and can instantly respond to breaking news as it affects the markets.

Drago

Legendary Member
US oil is now at a 21 year low as of today - nows the time to buy, buy, buy! Mine is all tied up split between Brent and Saudi else I'd have some of that.

srw

You know I said that gold was a gamble? Anyone invested in US oil has just lost everything they've invested, and more - and is now paying real money for the privilege of what is supposedly an investment. I wonder what happens if they can't keep up the payments?

Top Bottom