Gone Clipless...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KevinG

Went out for the first time this evening on the road bike with new Keo Look pedals and Northwave shoes. I am on the grey cleats. No incidents to report - I think I have successfully trained my brain to think about unclipping before I stop and it seems to have worked! :wacko:

Did 22 miles without incident - I have to say that the difference with clipless pedals is very obvious, I can see now how you can 'never go back' although I'll keep flats and toe clips on my commuter for now. :smile:

Only gripe was a very numb left foot, the right was a little numb around the toe area, but left foot was worse - shoes too tight?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I recently bought these to go on my mountain bike and some 520's for my road bike. I went for SPD's so I can use the same shoes. Only incident I have had so far was when a cleat bolt fell out and when I tried to unclip I twisted foot and cleat twisted in shoe and stayed attached. I had to roll off onto a grass verge:sad:. I have had toe clips and straps for about 30 years and had no problems from not getting out of clips. I read on some forums that everyone falls off 3 times but now I've thread locked bolts in I won't have that problem again;).

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Sounds like too tight, yes.

I had a moment this afternoon... sat in the middle of the road waiting to turn right, saw a gap clipped my foot in and forgot to pedal (it's been a long day !).

JUST managed to get my foot out before I made a complete @rse of myself :smile:

KEEF

Veteran
:biggrin::laugh:I have some Time pedals on the mud plugger.You know you are clipped in with these usually when you are lying on your side in the mud:laugh::biggrin:

KevinG said:
I think I have successfully trained my brain to think about unclipping before I stop and it seems to have worked! :biggrin:

Spitting in the eye of fate there :biggrin:

I had my one and only (so far) clipless moment on week 2 ... just when you think you've mastered it

Simon

longers

Legendary Member
Stay alert Kevin. At least so you can have a comfortable fall.
I went for Keo pedals as my first clip ins and did ok. For a while.

It took over two years to fall off SPD's, as they seemed easy by comparison.

Steve H

Large Member
Yes, I get numb toes as well - mainly on the right foot. Although I think my shoes may be just a tad tight, the symptoms seem to vary considerably based on temperature.

A few weeks ago when the weather was warmer, I wasn't getting the numbness until around a couple of hours in. For the last couple of days when the temperature has dropped through the floor the right foot toes are going numb after around 30-40 mins.

Steve

buggi

Bird Saviour
KevinG said:
Went out for the first time this evening on the road bike with new Keo Look pedals and Northwave shoes. I am on the grey cleats. No incidents to report - I think I have successfully trained my brain to think about unclipping before I stop and it seems to have worked! :biggrin:

Did 22 miles without incident - I have to say that the difference with clipless pedals is very obvious, I can see now how you can 'never go back' although I'll keep flats and toe clips on my commuter for now. :biggrin:

Only gripe was a very numb left foot, the right was a little numb around the toe area, but left foot was worse - shoes too tight?

i find i get numb foot if the middle strap on my shoes is too tight, so it might be that, you don't have to have your shoes mega tight. also, specialized do an shoe insert that has an integrated "button" under the ball of the foot... the purpose is to spread your foot as you push down, allowing the blood to flow better.

toekneep

Be warned, I had my first real clipless moments about two years after fitting SPD's. To be fair, it was as much a fault of the heavily loaded tourer and me not ensuring I was balanced before trying to move off as it was the fact that I was clipped in. A tumbling laden bicycle and rider is so much more spectacular though don't you think. :biggrin:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I nearly had a moment a couple of days ago .Came round a bend on a roaD i didnt know in a high gear suddenly I was on the bottom of the steepest hill I have seen in a while unable to turn the crank,too late to try and change down so rapid panic unclip then held the back wheel off the ground to spin down through the gears. Luckilly my friends were out of sight around the bend and didnt see this schoolboy error :-)

I went for my first spin around the block with my clipless today. After practising cliping in and out all was going well until I came to a junction and a car indicating one thing and doing another causing me to have to stop unexpectedly. Under other circumstances I could probably have stood without putting a foot down but the surprise and the anxiety of new pedals made for a hasty unclip and and more or less sliding to a halt, which would have looked quite impressive had I meant to do it. I figure if I can survive that without going down I can survive most things.
And I do have to say I suddenly understand what people say about power transfer and peddling efficiency after being somewhat dubious it was really 'for me'.

Top Bottom