Gone in 60 Seconds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordloveaduck

PART 2

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I knew the locks were only to combat the opportunist guys, but I was still suprised with the amount of bike theft in London.

How did they get the thief to take their decoy bike rather than the 10 other bikes in the rack?

defy-one

I work close to Barbican station. Won't be taking either Giant in during the Olympics. My 10 year old scratched up hybrid will be the ticket

Tony Sutton

Video #1 wasn't a very fair test... they used a bigass bolt cutter.

No one is going to be carrrying that when they try to quickly seal a bike! But these videos does make you aware.

BSRU

A Human Being

No one is going to be carrrying that when they try to quickly seal a bike! But these videos does make you aware.
It can fit in a rucksack, several bikes were stolen from where I work by thieves carrying the bolt cutters this way, took them less than a second to get through the locks.

sidevalve

Über Member

Depends on wether we're talking opportunist "grab it outside the shop and peddle off" or "let's go steal some bikes and sell 'em to get cash for our next fix" scum. The opportunist can be put off with a cheap wire lock that he'll have to fiddle with for a few seconds 'till you come out and start kicking him, the true thief will be stopped by nothing short of a massive through hardened steel m/cycle lock [and even that can be cut/broken with time].

Zofo

Veteran
F***ING low life scum!!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
How did they get the thief to take their decoy bike rather than the 10 other bikes in the rack?
Expensive bike secured with cheap lock. But it obviously wouldn't have mattered if the thief had targetted one of the other ones instead, they'd still have been nicked.

I must say that watching those two scroats get tackled to the ground was very encouraging. Less encouraging was the guy who'd stolen 102 bikes get five months suspended.

But good to see some sting operations out there, so a big thumbs-up to City Police.

nick.b

when i they used a grinder in the street to steal there bike i laughed quite hard.

just goes to show how pointless locks are if people just walk by while someone is breaking it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yeah, good locks are just there to make it easier for the thief to steal someone else's bike. But if they really want yours (most expensive one there, etc), then they'll get it.

defy-one

Quite depressing really. I feel like scratching up my shiny triban now - just to save her from being stolen :sad:

Top Bottom