Good bikes between £100- £250

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

What sort of bike?
New or used?
Adult or child?
Intended use?

then we can suggest....

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
If they do it in a size which fits you, decathlon do the btwin Triban3 which I have been looking at as a starter bike for my wife (cough...spare bike for me...seeing as she's the same height as me...cough) it is very well considered generally and at £300 very near your budget!

OP
OP
F

fraser woods

Im a male who is 6 ft i will mainly use it for road use but will go offroad sometimes, would be better if it was new but a used one in good condition will do

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
You will be asked to define off road! If you mean mountain biking, at over six foot you'll likely break anything new & cheap and even second hand, a mountain bike isn't great on road...

vickster

Legendary Member
In no order - Kona, Ridgeback, Dawes, Specialized (more £££), Trek (more £££), Carrera Subway from Halfords - have you been to your local bike shop?

No need for suspension

To be honest anything new under £200 is going to be pretty poor

Here's a couple to look at

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-Discovery-101-2012-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_52151.htm

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_840919_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

You'll get more for your money used - eBay, gumtree, classifieds on here or bikeradar

You really need to go and look at them in the metal, have a sit and if possible a testride. It is key to get the right size bike to be comfortable

vickster

Legendary Member
If £250 is your absolute maximum then I'd ony ever buy a used bike TBH.

If you can stretch to £300 and want a road bike then yes the Triban 3 is experiencing huge success due it's VFM, but even then a used bike will always offer better VFM and better spec, plus it's suffered it's worst depreciation as well, so if you ever sell it you won't suffer the same loss as if you'd bought it new.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 1985660, member: 45"]This is one of their weirdest. But if you've ever ridden a Dutch bike you'll know that there's nothing more comfortable.[/quote]

I quite like that one.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
The Decathlon Riverside (as linked to by Vickster above) is excellent value and a good all-terrain bike for the money (ATB, remember that term, so much nicer than Hybrid)

vickster

Legendary Member
It is 15kg though - will turn into a beast with guards, rack etc...I'd try to find a used Specialized Sirrus or Trek 7.x - they are going for quite big money though, just sold a 2011 Sirrus Elite on fleabay for £340, might have got more

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
It is 15kg though - will turn into a beast with guards, rack etc...I'd try to find a used Specialized Sirrus or Trek 7.x - they are going for quite big money though, just sold a 2011 Sirrus Elite on fleabay for £340, might have got more

True true, but I tried one of these out in store the other week whilst I was waiting for the chap to check over my new RockRider and it didnt seem that heavy. Thinner tyres helped it move nicely to be honest (it was 8pm and the store was dead so I was blasting up and down the length)

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The GF's eldest bought a, shop soiled, Giant Hybrid from the LBS for just under £200. It had a small ding to no-drive side chain stay. It doesn't seem to affect bike at all. He just needs to use it more. Try your LBS to see if they have any deals on or even trade-in rides they'll give you after sale service. As will Decathlon but it depends how far you have to travel to your nearest branch (mine is about 50 miles away).

Top Bottom