Good bus driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

eh - I don't get that. He noticed you, and you say he pulled right but he appeared to be stationary. Then you went round the right of him?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yup, he pulled a little right to let me undertake. Only I decided it was better and safer to overtake, so swapped sides and overtook. I'm just chuffed that he was so observant and made an effort to help me out, albeit in vain.

Bonj,

He does pull right. Look at his front tyres, Bonj. In fact that's a good thing to always do when your cycling as a vehicle will always (almost) go where it's tyres are pointing! :sad:

However, i do agree that it isn't obvious and that is why I don't post these situations because good driving is often difficult to make out on video.

However, as BentMikey says the vast majority of bus drivers do drive well. That's why when First Bus agreed to put Give Cyclist Room stickers on their buses I was disappointed that it would only be for the drivers benefit. I really wanted the stickers on the back of the buses as it is often other road users who come into conflict with cyclists. I will be having a chat with the exec director on Thursday when I meet him to see if I can push for stickers on the outside. I don't hold out much hope though :tongue:

Oh and I still need other cyclists for Thursday morning in Glasgow for a photoshoot!! xx(

bonj2

hmmm... yeah. you can just notice, quite hard to make out though..
I find drivers do do it sometimes. If you look at my 'Another (better) cycling video' thread a couple of WVMs (who i pass on the right) do it! (arguably for the benefit of their wing mirrors than me, but still...)

SickCert

A little BD observation, the Bus driver gave you a little room and pulled the steering right then hit stationary traffic, did you know the traffic ahead was stationary before you yanked right?
I see it daily.

PS how do you drive them odd bikes!!

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yup, it was easy to see there was a long queue of traffic ahead of him. I was just well chuffed with the consideration he gave me. I get quite a lot from bus drivers to be honest, and I thought it would be nice to show how good most bus drivers are for once, instead of just showing the few bad eggs.

SickCert

OMG Thats not a bike!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
I will be having a chat with the exec director on Thursday

We wrote to First York recently about a couple of dodgy incidents, and mentioned First Glasgow's Give Cyclists Room campaign, with a link to the newspaper article you posted.

They wrote back and said they'd contact Glasgow about it. We're quietly hoping for something similar in York. Any chance of you encouraging the exec director to spread the word to other First Bus divisions?

Top Bottom