Good Carbon Fibre site anyone ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iendicott

Does anyone know of a site where I can lookup the differences between the type of carbon fibre bike builders use ?

I am seriously considering a carbon framed bike but need to do a little more reading to see if I can justify this over a lightweight Aluminum frame.

Thanks

weevil

What sort of info are you hoping to find? Asking about "types of carbon fibre" suggests that you're looking for data on the raw materials. If so, and assuming that the manufacturers whose frames you're considering declare their sources, then you should find more data than you could ever need on the fibre manufacturers websites.

Of course, if this is the sort of data you're after, bear in mind that the raw material is only half the story. Or perhaps less than half. I could probably fashion something bike-shaped from top quality cloth/roving/resin, but no-one in their right mind would want to ride it.

OP
OP
iendicott

iendicott

Hi Weevil,
All I wanted to read up on is the different ways manafacturers build there frames and the different ways carbon is weaved to together to get a strong segment. I don't want to rush into buying a Carbon Fibre frame if I find the quality is not that good and a decent aluminium is going to be better.

Accountantpete,
Thanks I will have a good like through this.

OP
OP
iendicott

iendicott

Youngfoldbloke,

What an absolutely fantastic site. This has really answered all my question on the Carbon Fibre debate.

For me Carbon Fibre is the way forward but issues about using Aluminium parts directly bonded onto the Carbon fibre will be at the forefront of my examiniations on the frames as Carbon + Aluminium directly bonded can case the Aluminium to corrode plus as Carbon Fibre and Aluminium has different thermal properties this is going to be a week spot as Aluminium will expand faster that Carbon Fibre possible render the joint on the frame week.

Thanks Ivan

Top Bottom