Good chain tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

giant man

Due to my crap quality Lidl special chain splitter tool literally falling apart in my hands, I need to find out the good chain tools available. What does everyone here use and recommend?

Park, Shi**no, Pedros, VAR.

yenrod

I used to use a small no name job but now I use a big one - only to have the bloody stud bend and snap :wacko:

rustychisel

the Shimano one is quite good, surprisingly, but that won't save me bending the stud on it sometime when I in a hurry, thus consigning that tool to the growing pile in the corner 'just in case'.

Just in case what? Is it going to sprout wings. Grow a new appendage? Why oh why do I keep things which are broke? I guarantee you I've got six or seven chain tools, one at least with an old galvanised nail in place of the rivet driver. Once I actually thought 'if I get a lathe I could turn my own replacement studs out of super-hard steel'. Brilliant. Feckin' A1. Invest in a lathe the make chain tool studs. A mind-bogglingly great idea; lucky the shed doesn't actually have power running to it. I feel better now, thanks for letting me emote.

rustychisel said:
Why oh why do I keep things which are broke?

Because, once in every hundred million years, some of that stuff comes in handy. You'll be glad you kept it then!

OP
OP
giant man

giant man

Anyone got the Pedros one. I think it's the Pro Chain Tool? It's either this one or one of the Park ones for me I feel. Seem to be popular anyway. They do the CT-3, and the CT-6.

This is like the first chain i have ever taken links out of so don't want it too complicated for a numpty like me!

Maz

Guru
This is useful info for me, too, as I'll be getting my own chain tool soon.

The one I borrowed for the job I just did (can't remember the make, but it was Uk made) - it didn't look broken in anyway but it didn't completely push the rivet all the way out - I used a pair of pliers to pull it through the last bit of the link.

Do all chain tools do this, or was the one I used possibly not working properly?

Top Bottom