Good drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seigi

I often say thank you to drivers if they either A. Don't cut me up by coming out of a junction in front of me, or B. If they wait until I pass a junction to turn in.

The ones that seem to annoy me most are the ones that race to get in front of you, as if they achieved something, the other day someone in a small black hatchback revved their little engine as high as it would go to get past me only to be stopped 10m in front by temporary traffic lights..

ACS

Legendary Member
I had to move out of a cycle to overtake a stationary bus this morning. The driver had his left hand incidcator active as I commenced my overtake. As I got more or less level with the drivers cab the bus started to pull away from the bus stop. Bus is in motion, driver looks to his right sees me passing his open window and says 'Sorry about that mate, should take more care'

Stunned.

Gave him a wave of thanks, quick over the left shoulder check and back into the cycle lane. Bus then executes a perfect overtake and I find I have a smile on my face.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sent to Maytree Travel (a local bus company) earlier today:

======================
Hello,

I am writing regarding the driving standards that I have observed from your drivers. As a cyclist, my experience of bus drivers generally has not always been good and at times has been appalling.

However, I can honestly say that Maytree drivers have shown themselves to be very courteous and careful on every occasion that I have encountered them. This puts your company in a very good light and is to be commended.

Thank you,
======================

Oh no, don't get me started on Buses..

I love those bright red bringers of warmth...(sorry, its an old topic I posted a year ago some place)

But seriously, I'm a big supporter of London bus drivers, they are by far the most cycle aware (and cycle friendly) drivers on the London roads. They come to a halt at the mere whiff of a cyclist and always allow you to get to safety, even if it is your fault you are in danger.

I don't care how it is that they are motivated to do so...I just notice that they do and am grateful for the assist.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Of course there are more good drivers than bad drivers, just as there are more good cyclists than bad cyclists. It is just that few people remember good driving as it has little impact on your day.

At a rough guess I must get overtaken by at least 300 vehicles every day, very few cause me any concern at all.

Just read any newspaper and watch any news programme, no one wants to report good news.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
This topic has prompted me to send an email of thanks to a company after a great overtake last night. It's the first time I've been able to send an email that wasn't a complaint. Cheers everyone, I think I'm going to make more of an effort to spot the good drivers. Positive thinking and all that. :biggrin:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I find that learner drivers are the most considerate as they obviously have to drive safely. I had one the other day who was waiting behind me while we went through a congested one way system. They were about 3 cars lengths behind me and not trying to intimidate me. At one point, I waved them past, but I think the instructor told them otherwise as it would have been a bit of a squeeze.
We then got to where the road widened a lot and the driver overtook me within the speed limit and went on the other side of the road. They were extremely courteous and I gave them a thumbs up and the instructor thumbed me as well.

I have people overtake me fine, and then the few who sometimes give me a little bit more room than necessary. (And obviously the few who dont give me enough room at all).

It certainly cheers my day up.

Top Bottom