Good Enough Bike Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But is it good enough for this?
1630620533792.jpeg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Chain heavier than many bikes at 15kg as a lock :blink: - welcome to London, capitol of thieving bastards.

Not a problem if you ride an old Apollo pulled out of a skip. You only need the bare minimum of anti ride away security. Locking up anything in London that's worth more than a round of drinks is a mugs game, and sooner or later you'll get burned.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I use the same lock mentioned in the OP (the good lock), with a Kryptonite faghedaboutit D-lock. My insurance company consider them adequate enough.

He gives the answer in his first few sentences - he never lock up his first bike. He takes it with him or leaves it with a riding buddy.
I use the same lock mentioned in the OP (the good lock), with a Kryptonite faghedaboutit D-lock. My insurance company consider them adequate enough.
I had no idea that Insurance companies consider the locks. Do they mention the lock in the final document?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I had no idea that Insurance companies consider the locks. Do they mention the lock in the final document?

When seeking home insurance I had to consider the true replacement value of my most expensive bike (Azub TiFly), as well as total value of bikes owned. The insurance company requested a minimum spec (Gold standard). I chose to use the locks mentioned earlier and told my insurance company these would be the looks used. My policy documents include the locks I specified by name. Incidentally I use a second Kryptonite chain lock on the trike, so three locks in total.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
If I cant leave my bike with a buddy, I don't leave it, simples :sad: In any case, locks only keep honest people out.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I get the ‘separation anxiety’ when the bike is not in sight :-)

If they want the bike, they will have it. So, for the ‘opportunist’ thief, almost any lock will do - why work at it when there is another bike further on?

mikeIow

Guru
I get the ‘separation anxiety’ when the bike is not in sight :-)

If they want the bike, they will have it. So, for the ‘opportunist’ thief, almost any lock will do - why work at it when there is another bike further on?
Yup, I know that feeling!

I have this simple frame lock on mine in case I have to dive into a loo or shop….a bargain price *with* cable, & the key is always with me. Under no illusion that it is a good lock, but the best lock is one you have and use 😉
Also cable-tied a very cheap alarm like this under the saddle. Again, it might stop a opportunist thief, make them move on to the next bike. Not obvious where it is, quite hidden under the Brooks saddle, but makes quite a decent noise if the bike is moved, at very little weight. I’ve managed to lose the plipper, mind 😳

If I had to cycle somewhere and leave it, I do have a hefty D-lock.
Have a pal who cycled everywhere….he once locked his bike to a solid ‘Sheffield stand’ frame in town whilst out for a show….came back to find the bike frame bent around the stand by some odious oik who clearly didn’t like the fact they could break his lock 🙄

Not a problem if you ride an old Apollo pulled out of a skip. You only need the bare minimum of anti ride away security. Locking up anything in London that's worth more than a round of drinks is a mugs game, and sooner or later you'll get burned.
bit over-stating it skipdiver I think, especially as I know that like me you frequent spoons a fair bit :smile:
I think you can ride a good bike that rides well but doesn't look too modern (nor too retro-chique), lock well with two locks and be careful where you leave it and when. And near better pickings. Have never had a bike nicked in London yet though would never lock my dale or Hewitt in town.

Again, it might stop a opportunist thief, make them move on to the next bike. Not obvious where it is, quite hidden under the Brooks saddle, but makes quite a decent noise if the bike is moved, at very little weight. I’ve managed to lose the plipper, mind 😳
How do you arm it without the "plipper"?
I have one but not got round to using in the street yet.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
bit over-stating it skipdiver I think, especially as I know that like me you frequent spoons a fair bit :smile:
I think you can ride a good bike that rides well but doesn't look too modern (nor too retro-chique), lock well with two locks and be careful where you leave it and when. And near better pickings. Have never had a bike nicked in London yet though would never lock my dale or Hewitt in town.

My idea of a round of drinks is somewhat less than most, as you allude, but that reinforces the point if anything.
Whilst really good locks can reduce the risk of theft, the issue for me is the weight of them. I really don't see the point in taking an expensive lightweight bike somewhere dodgy then completely obliterating the weight advantage with a couple of hefty locks. You might as well take a heavier cheaper bike and not go OTT with the locks. The end result in overall weight will be about the same regardless - but the risk exposure of having a beater stolen compared with having a decent bike stolen is only a fraction in money terms.

Top Bottom