Good evening from Wiltshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MagicThighs

Hello everybody,

I've only been back into cycling since mid August after 'meaning to' start for months. My main motivation was to try and get fitter but I can't believe how addictive cycling has become! On Sunday I got up at 7.00, after getting to bed at 1.00am after a night out with friends, noticed it was drizzling so put on the rain coat and cycled over 18 miles along the lanes near Calne, over the downs and back along the Kennet and Avon canal to Sells Green and then home to Bromham. Earlier in the Summer I would struggle with a cycle of little over a mile and complain frequently about the sore rear end for 2-3 days afterwards!

I started in earnest on a holiday in the Yorkshire Dales in August, with a 4 mile cycle every day of the holiday. When I say cycle it was probably 30% walking as the hills got me to start with, but I have been getting better at these and can now go a fair distance without giving in and walking. Doing about 30 miles every weekend at the moment and hoping to build up each week.

I'm currently riding my 10-12 year old Raleigh Firefly and want to get a new bike next year - not sure whether to go hybrid or road bike at the moment so I'll take my time to find out what I want and seek advice.

The thighs are exactly magic at the moment, more tree trunk like, but I hope this will change if I stick at it!

rusky

CC Addict
Hi & welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you're enjoying cycling.

When I got back into it after years out of the saddle, I knew I wanted a hybrid so that's what I got. Now I ride it because I don't want to leave my road bike at work.

Not saying I don't like it but it's hard work compared to a road bike.

As you say, take your time deciding :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

MagicThighs

Where in Wiltshire are you MT? I'm in Westbury.

I'm in Bromham, roughly half way between Chippenham and Devizes.

Had a 'breakdown' on Saturday, luckily only 1/2 a mile from home. Suddenly started losing power in the pedals and hearing a lot of grinding and clanking. Looked back and saw the rear cassette wobbling around. When I checked at home it looked like a nut had come lose and dropped most of the bearing onto the road
sad.gif

Thinking I would be out of action for a few days and expecting an unwelcome large bill, I took it to my nearest LBS, just the rear wheel that is. They fixed it there and then and it only cost me £20.

Bike is now good as new and I can't wait until the weekend so I can get out again.

Moriarty

I'm in Bromham, roughly half way between Chippenham and Devizes.

Had a 'breakdown' on Saturday, luckily only 1/2 a mile from home. Suddenly started losing power in the pedals and hearing a lot of grinding and clanking. Looked back and saw the rear cassette wobbling around. When I checked at home it looked like a nut had come lose and dropped most of the bearing onto the road
sad.gif

Thinking I would be out of action for a few days and expecting an unwelcome large bill, I took it to my nearest LBS, just the rear wheel that is. They fixed it there and then and it only cost me £20.

Bike is now good as new and I can't wait until the weekend so I can get out again.

Not too far away then. I have a nice route out from home through Edington to Devizes....

Top Bottom