Good Flat-bar road bike for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Absinthe Minded said:
Hi Matt,

Welcome and congrats on your decision to commute - you'll have lots of fun in the summer, and a sense of, er, achievment in the winter!

All I can say is that I chopped my road bike in for a Levante about a year ago and it was the best thing I ever did! The Levante is an excellent bike with a great range of gears.

I can't speak for the others cause I've never ridden them but I take my Levante on a long route to work three times a week, see the Pleasure / Pain link at the bottom of my post for a route map - it's about 55 miles a day.

That is a lot of hours in the saddle each week ;)

skwerl

linfordlunchbox said:
You get a quicker steering response for less effort with flat bars as the leverage is greater.

Not sure about that. You're right about effort and leverage but the response on narrower bars is quicker. Short bars=quick repsonse/twitchier handling. Long bars= slower response/more stable handling

LLB

skwerl said:
Not sure about that. You're right about effort and leverage but the response on narrower bars is quicker. Short bars=quick repsonse/twitchier handling. Long bars= slower response/more stable handling

Riding on anything but marble smooth tarmac, and the extra leverage is nice.

I found my old road bike would track very easily on uneven roads.

OP
OP
M

MattG

Well, thanks for the advice everyone. After trying both flat and drop bars, I decided to go with flat. The roads around here aren't in the best condition, and I haven't cycled on a regular basis before, and a flat-bar just felt safer to me. Who knows, maybe in a year or so I'll be ready for a change, but for now, I went with the Merida Speeder T2.

First day of cycling to work tomorrow. :tongue:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Good for you, I hope you have many thousands of happy miles on that bike!

MattG said:
Well, thanks for the advice everyone. After trying both flat and drop bars, I decided to go with flat. The roads around here aren't in the best condition, and I haven't cycled on a regular basis before, and a flat-bar just felt safer to me. Who knows, maybe in a year or so I'll be ready for a change, but for now, I went with the Merida Speeder T2.

First day of cycling to work tomorrow. :biggrin:
Good luck and all the best, Matt. And remember, there's nothing wrong with flat bars - it's just what you feel better about, so you've made the right choice.

Willow

I've just bought a mongoose 450 for the same distance. Did 5 miles easily at weekend, 7 to work though unfortunately got to do the busy A246 into Guildford such a shame there isn't a more countrified route. I'm hoping to start commute Sept when son can cycle to school.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Good choice Matt. Have fun.

I changed from flat to drop and back to flat. Really couldn't get on with the drops at all. Just personal choice I suppose.

At least you've taken the plunge to start commuting by bike :biggrin:

Top Bottom