Good maintenance and infrastructure enables 'regular wimps' to cycle all year round near Arctic Circle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along

I saw a few people riding bikes in the snow deep into the Arctic Circle in Norway.
I guess the more practice you have the easier it is.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Pah! Who needs the Arctic circle :smile: .

The Brisbane Glen, a single track road from Costa Clyde towards Greenock (sadly we don't get these conditions as often as Finland). Bike is shod with Schwalbe Winter spikes.

1611579522806-png.png

Sallar55

Veteran
Why single out Argyll & Bute .Consider these facts 2nd largest council area and a population density of 32 per square mile. Thats going to be a hell of a lot council tax required to put in and maintain a useable cycle infrastructure. At least they have a joined up cycle path from Ballachulish to Oban and the other national cycle routes. Just waiting to do the upgraded tracks along the power lines from Inveraray to Lochgilphead .

Slick

Guru
Give them some time - haven't they just discovered fire?

Still wrestling with it. :laugh:

Slick

Guru
Why single out Argyll & Bute .Consider these facts 2nd largest council area and a population density of 32 per square mile. Thats going to be a hell of a lot council tax required to put in and maintain a useable cycle infrastructure. At least they have a joined up cycle path from Ballachulish to Oban and the other national cycle routes. Just waiting to do the upgraded tracks along the power lines from Inveraray to Lochgilphead .

Just waiting, are they aye? :whistle:

Sallar55

Veteran
Just waiting, are they aye? :whistle:
They were working on the pylons last year, upgrading the windfarms connection to the grid. Thats not anything to do with the cycling infrastructure, but it will keep the gravel riders happy with only the odd timber lorry on the forestry/ pylon tracks and away from normal traffic 😁

Slick

Guru
They were working on the pylons last year, upgrading the windfarms connection to the grid. Thats not anything to do with the cycling infrastructure, but it will keep the gravel riders happy with only the odd timber lorry on the forestry/ pylon tracks and away from normal traffic 😁

I was on almost every windfarm job all over Argyll, do you know how many timber trucks use the one from Carradale to Tayinloan for example?

Sallar55

Veteran
Tell us and more interesting how many on the hills between Inveraray and Lochgilphead. Done most of the Kintyre Way and never had an issues with the timber lorries or the windfarm maintenance vans.

Slick

Guru
Tell us and more interesting how many on the hills between Inveraray and Lochgilphead. Done most of the Kintyre Way and never had an issues with the timber lorries or the windfarm maintenance vans.

I've done a few of the routes between Inveraray and Lochgilphead, especially as its used as an alternative route because some poor soul has made a common error and the road is shut again. Its such a common route for timber trucks that the drivers refer to it as the F1 route. Another common shortcut is directly opposite Auchindrain that I used often enough in a truck that comes out at Ford. As I said, I've been on most of the windfarm jobs in that area and know the routes very well. :okay:

Sallar55

Veteran
I've done a few of the routes between Inveraray and Lochgilphead, especially as its used as an alternative route because some poor soul has made a common error and the road is shut again. Its such a common route for timber trucks that the drivers refer to it as the F1 route. Another common shortcut is directly opposite Auchindrain that I used often enough in a truck that comes out at Ford. As I said, I've been on most of the windfarm jobs in that area and know the routes very well. :okay:
That's good, now all we all need to know where the access tracks are above Inveraray for these alternative routes Saves being stressed out cycling up the climbs The A 83 can then be avoided by going through the forest to Lochgilphead. This would also saves going over the hill and down the singletrack along loch Awe .The A 83 can be a race track especially when the rest is down to one lane at the landslide section or worse still its a convoy system on the old road . Ferry traffic times are interesting 😲

Top Bottom