Good news/bad news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Back in April I spent 8 hours in the Frailty Clinic. Tests showed that I had a very high 'liver count' (I had no idea what that meant but they said it was serious).
I was called back for a full CAT scan on Friday........back to see the consultant and get the results on Monday.
GOOD news is that I have managed to lower my count by 75%.
BAD news.....they found early Prostate problems.
I now look forward to having some one's fingers shoved up my bum !!! The consultant had hands like ham shanks so I hope it's not him :angry:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry, but look on the bright side, they have found something which if allowed to go untreated could have got much worse. :smile:

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Back in April I spent 8 hours in the Frailty Clinic. Tests showed that I had a very high 'liver count' (I had no idea what that meant but they said it was serious).
I was called back for a full CAT scan on Friday........back to see the consultant and get the results on Monday.
GOOD news is that I have managed to lower my count by 75%.
BAD news.....they found early Prostate problems.
I now look forward to having some one's fingers shoved up my bum !!! The consultant had hands like ham shanks so I hope it's not him :angry:

Good job they found the problem nice and early Dave, get it sorted and enjoy life.
My boss is a pain in the arse and I don’t have any prostrate problems 🤷‍♂️

simongt

Guru
A long time pal; fifty years, has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Went down to spend the day with him and had much 'useful' banter about his condition and life in general. :okay:
However, he wasn't impressed when I told him that according to 'The New Scientist', erm, how shall I put this, for men who don't have long term 'female companionship' if they 'attend to themselves', this reduces the risk of prostate cancer. Use it or lose it, so to say.
My pal's response was 'Now he tells me - !' :wacko:

simongt

Guru
Ref. above pal, phoned him last night for a banter and it now transpires that he also has a pulmonary embolism. :dry: He's now on blood thinners and the embolism will be closely monitored. :whistle:
As I've mentioned on another post, I consider myself very fortunate to just have an an arthritic knee which is beginning to be uncomfortable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If caught early the prognosis can be quite good. My dad was diagnosed in his mid 70s and was on three monthly hormonal implants to keep it under control. He died at 89 of other causes.
My dad's situation was similar, but the other causes got him at 84. The cancer had been well-controlled for nearly 10 years by then.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Fear not, the medicos have foisted your liver problems onto me instead.

Hell, between the entire membership of CC we could make about two-thirds of a healthy human being.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Same for my dad as others have said - he's currently being treated for stage 4 prostate cancer - not curable but manageable such that the prognosis is that it won't be what does for him. Age 76.

bruce1530

Guru
I've just been through the prostate cancer journey. If diagnosed early, it is definitely curable.

Prostate cancer is in general slow growing - so "active monitoring" (keep measuring it but don't take any immediate action if it doesn't spread) is often the recommended option. There are several treatments possible, including radiotherapy, hormone treatment or surgery.

Treatment plan also is very dependent on your age. As one medical professional somewhat brutally phrased it "It's a slow growing cancer. if it is going to kill you in 25 years, and you're approaching 80, then treatment is a bit pointless"

In my case, I was in my late 50s, and surgery was the preferred option, since the tumour was near the edge of the prostate and there was a risk of it spreading. Hormone+radio was also a viable option.

I had the initial tests early spring this year. MRI scan a month later. Biopsy a month after that. Diagnosis a month later. Treatment plan a month later. Waiting list. Cancellation. Surgery a month later. Everything seemed to be a month apart!

Had surgery in mid September, and was told a couple of weeks ago that I had the "all clear". The surgery removed all the "bad stuff", it hasn't spread beyond prostate.

Anyway - you say "prostate problems" - that doesn't necessarily mean cancer, but get the checks. Everyone, including me, jokes about the DRE (Digital Rectal Exam - the "finger up the bum") - but it's nothing to worry about.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Dave7 I know someone who had the examination done a while back and he said it was a doddle.

His advice was, 'you only need to worry if, halfway through, you suddenly feel both the doctor's hands on your shoulders.' 😂
This is how my brother-in-law got on... :whistle:

My brother-in-law is a bit of a joker and is a fan of the old 'Carry On' films. When he had his prostate examination done, a nurse was also in the room. The doc got him to bend over a table and inserted the gloved digit. B-i-l put on his best Kenneth Williams voice and gasped ...

"Ooooooooh Doctor, and we've only just met!"

The doc laughed a little and the nurse laughed a lot, so much in fact that it was a minute or two before the examination continued.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've just been through the prostate cancer journey. If diagnosed early, it is definitely curable.

Prostate cancer is in general slow growing - so "active monitoring" (keep measuring it but don't take any immediate action if it doesn't spread) is often the recommended option. There are several treatments possible, including radiotherapy, hormone treatment or surgery.

Treatment plan also is very dependent on your age. As one medical professional somewhat brutally phrased it "It's a slow growing cancer. if it is going to kill you in 25 years, and you're approaching 80, then treatment is a bit pointless"

In my case, I was in my late 50s, and surgery was the preferred option, since the tumour was near the edge of the prostate and there was a risk of it spreading. Hormone+radio was also a viable option.

I had the initial tests early spring this year. MRI scan a month later. Biopsy a month after that. Diagnosis a month later. Treatment plan a month later. Waiting list. Cancellation. Surgery a month later. Everything seemed to be a month apart!

Had surgery in mid September, and was told a couple of weeks ago that I had the "all clear". The surgery removed all the "bad stuff", it hasn't spread beyond prostate.

Anyway - you say "prostate problems" - that doesn't necessarily mean cancer, but get the checks. Everyone, including me, jokes about the DRE (Digital Rectal Exam - the "finger up the bum") - but it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks.
I am 76 yrs old.
TBH I don't know if it's cancer or whatever. I will find out though :smile:

Top Bottom