Good news for a change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
As there seems to be a preponderance of bad threads recently I thought I'd ask:

Has anyone else been enjoying the school holidays and the reduction in traffic levels they bring, along with light winds?

This week has been superb, I've caught green lights in row, not been cut-up or forced to slow down because of cars.

My winter average of 16mph is over 18 this week (on a 55mi/week ride 2mph average difference is a lot) with Monday being particularly special when I broke the 20mph average for the first time!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The only things I've noticed is the usual 'school holiday increase' in the amount of broken glass on the off-road path I use !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Traffic's been down slightly (was off with my kids last week) but up have popped road works near me, that has lead to tail backs that need passing ...oh dear.....

CotterPin

I'm just confused about when the school holidays are.* Once upon a time it was a week either side of Easter. Now it seems to be a bit of a lottery whether I am going to find loads of traffic on the road or not.

*I am not a parent

Suerdusty

Nice down here on the Cornwall/Devon border Cornish kids off for the last 2 weeks and Devos off for the next 2! 4 weeks of more pleasant cycling:biggrin:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well, I have to report some good news. Last year, my cycling was way off track as I'd been finishing up my masters, and between work, kids, college, etc, exercising went out. But:

I've been getting back into regular rides now that the weather is getting a little warmer and the snow and ice have cleared. I know it's a little thing, but on Monday I went to see an old friend for lunch from work -I headed off on the beater bike I'd put in the back of the car. It was slightly spotty and the sky overcast, but all in all, it didn't look like it was going get worse. Well, by the time I'd finished my Indian and a good chat, it was really raining. But you know what......

The 3 miles there and back on the bikepath in the rain in complete peace and quiet without hardly anybody else was worth it. So much. It was a little piece of heaven in my day and completely made me realize why I enjoy cycling so much. Really enjoyed it!

Plax

Guru
There is never a noticeable difference in traffic round here, or at least not untill you get towards somewhere like the A55 and the outlying towns. I would never know it was half term was it not for the work colleagues at
with kids.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
best thing for me is cycling home in the light - and only having about 30ish mins of darkness on the morning commute. Still managed to get soaked on Monday tho.....;)

Top Bottom