1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good 'non-cateye but still quite good' budget lights.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by GrahamG, 11 Dec 2007.

1. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Rear lights and even more specifically, one that the mount will screw onto a flat plate on the back of a rack.

Any ideas? I'm loathe to get cateye and fudge it as I refused to pay an extra £10 for a rack with a cateye compatible light mount.

2. spindrift

spindrift New Member

Maplin. Tenner.

3. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

sure there was a thread a few weeks ago with a link to a website selling a bracket that let you fit lights to racks

I was keen but I like the light a bit higher than that, ditched the saddle bag and mounted it on the seat post

4. Maz

Maz Guru

Does the flat plate on the rack have slits in it? I reckon you could hook a Smart SuperFlash through one of those.
    £15-ish and v.bright.

5. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

6. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

Can you not just file off the plastic locating boss on the light and then screw it onto the rack? (or am I missing summat, as usual)

7. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Thanks for the input folks.

Any idea why smart lights never have a spec on the websites - can't find what batteries they use!

8. magnatom

magnatom Guest

2 x AAA. They are amazingly bright. I will warn you now, don't look straight at the light when it is on!! xx(:tongue: (Of course you will won't you!!;))

9. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

I used one of these to attach a Cat Eye rear light to my rack:

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/./products/Rear_LED_Light_Bracket.aspx

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I use the B&M as well. It's pretty big and also has reflectors in, so makes you very visible.