Good old Council - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
On my commute to work, a roughly 200 metre length of the shared cycle path goes down a dip under some trees. Minor issues in the wet with fallen debris; leaves, twigs, conkers in the Autumn etc., but nothing of any great risk.
However, the local council have thought different - ! The said part of the cycle path is currently being re-routed away from the trees along an enbankment, thus making it debris free; and just for us cyclists - ! Ain't that nice of them eh - ? ^_^
The best part is the temporary traffic lights along the affected length of road; the cycle path is currently one of the lanes, so single lane traffic for motorists. Much fun today seeing a three hundred metre queue of motorists waiting for the lights to change whilst I just pedalled :bicycle:past the lot of them - ! :laugh:

Slick

Guru
Nice. Good for your council, the little cycle path I get to use is littered with debris and even the grass is starting to reclaim what was once it's own.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I always thought broken glass, nails, household rubbish and car parts were provided free from the council to test how good your tyres repel punctures. I shall have to revisit my misconceptions before i hit the road myself...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nice. Good for your council, the little cycle path I get to use is littered with debris and even the grass is starting to reclaim what was once it's own.
<record type="stuck">Have you reported it?</record>

Eventually, they got sick of us reporting grass encroaching on Local Route 6 and sent a mini-digger and two guys with spades along to reclaim it:
IMG_20190813_123709.jpg

Now we can ride side-by-side while someone passes going the other way and not have to go give-and-take on narrow bits :smile:

Now we just need to get them to move the farking lampposts back half a metre outside the kerb ;) I only remember seeing one carriageway with lampposts in the tarmac and that was on a steep hillside with no pavements.

Slick

Guru
<record type="stuck">Have you reported it?</record>

Eventually, they got sick of us reporting grass encroaching on Local Route 6 and sent a mini-digger and two guys with spades along to reclaim it:
View attachment 484696
Now we can ride side-by-side while someone passes going the other way and not have to go give-and-take on narrow bits :smile:

Now we just need to get them to move the farking lampposts back half a metre outside the kerb ;) I only remember seeing one carriageway with lampposts in the tarmac and that was on a steep hillside with no pavements.
Yeah I have. It's such a tiny stretch I think they have forgotten that it even exists. For anyone local to me, it's the new stretch of the airport at Paisley Moss. Not much point moaning on here, (but does anyway) there's another bit I keep reporting broken glass outside a school and I've convinced myself it's deliberate as the spread is so perfect, I've now resorted to carrying my bike for a bit. I'm impressed by both the OP's council and yours for actually doing something about it.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Slipped my mind that where said shared cycle path goes under a long stretch of overhanging trees and an alternative route isn't realistic, the council send one of their wee motorised footpath sweepers along to clear up the sylvan debris a few time a year. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom