good service from PBK

wafflycat

New Member
Ordered a few things from ProBikeKit yesterday. One of the items was down as out of stock until beginning of March. The order (free postage) arrived this morning, including the item supposed to be out of stock. Excellent service once again. Plus, PBK use Royal Mail, which in my neck of the woods is much better than using a courier service, which is what Wiggle are unfortunately doing now. If I happen to be out when it's a Royal Mail delivery, I simply have to go the five miles into town to pick up the package. If it's a courier, I have a fifty-mile round trip into Norwich to get the package. As much as I like Wiggle, it's a good job I work from home so that usually there is someone in to take a delivery. Otherwise I'd have to stop using Wiggle. I am using PBK more these days - due to delivery & pricing matching & exceeding Wiggle's service.
 

Tynan

Veteran
Location
e4
Wiggle deliver to my work address, invariably next day and for free

It certainly works for me
 
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

New Member
Home is my work address. Usually there's someone in but there are times when there isn't, in which case the benefit of Royal Mail as opposed to a courier comes to the fore. Wiggle are good - excellent in fact - but for me, the use of a courier is not a good move.
 

Tynan

Veteran
Location
e4
so it's about where your sorting office and your courier depot are really?

that's just chance surely

I'm sure wiggle would post if you asked them
 

Chris James

Über Member
Location
Huddersfield
Tynan said:
so it's about where your sorting office and your courier depot are really?

that's just chance surely
No, its not chance. It depends on the number of sorting offices ot the number of courier depots. I don't have the figures but the former will be vastly bigger than the latter.

When I lived in Weston-super-Mare the sorting office was 5 mins from my work and my home, the nearest courier depot was in Bristol, 20 miles away.

Now in Emley near Huddersfield, my nearest sorting office is about 2 miles away, the courier depots are near Bradford - a half hour each way journey.

I won't buy from companies that don't use Royal Mail.
 

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Location
S of Kendal
My view of the couple who run PBK will always be coloured by the raw deal their creditors got when their other businesses went under. Many small companies who traded with them went under whilst they walked away (actually drove away in their flash cars) owing hundreds of thousands to continue trading as PBK.

Obviously their accountants did well to keep Wheelbase, their bike hire business, their house and PBK all as separate entities, but morally it stank.
 

Tynan

Veteran
Location
e4
Chris James said:
No, its not chance. It depends on the number of sorting offices ot the number of courier depots. I don't have the figures but the former will be vastly bigger than the latter.

When I lived in Weston-super-Mare the sorting office was 5 mins from my work and my home, the nearest courier depot was in Bristol, 20 miles away.

Now in Emley near Huddersfield, my nearest sorting office is about 2 miles away, the courier depots are near Bradford - a half hour each way journey.

I won't buy from companies that don't use Royal Mail.
granted a sorting office is likelier to be closer but it's still chance and i still think wiggle would post it if you asked them to
 

Chris James

Über Member
Location
Huddersfield
Tim, interesting stuff that I wasn't aware of.

My dad was a self employed builders merchant and got stiffed quite a few times by people going bust owing him money and suddenly starting up again under their wife's name etc.
 

Chris James

Über Member
Location
Huddersfield
Tynan said:
granted a sorting office is likelier to be closer but it's still chance and i still think wiggle would post it if you asked them to
I just buy from my LBS. Even closer than the the sorting office and I view it as a case of 'use it or lose it'
 

Tynan

Veteran
Location
e4
yes, disgraceful that people are allowed to do it, i worked for a co that did it once, went bust at 5pm on Fri and opened up with same people/staff/customers 100 yards down the road, suspect we only had to move to stiff the landlords
 

Tynan

Veteran
Location
e4
Chris James said:
I just buy from my LBS. Even closer than the the sorting office and I view it as a case of 'use it or lose it'
I put lots through my LBS but they don;t stock as much stuff as the internet and they're not always having a sale

Good to keep them sweet on the most mercenary level
 

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Location
Suffolk.
Tynan said:
I put lots through my LBS but they don;t stock as much stuff as the internet
Same here, bit of LBS bit of t'internet. I also get Wiggle to deliver to my work address and that works really well. The other benefit of being delivered to the work address is Mrs FFFF cannot have a go at me for spending more on the bike if I fit the stuff on the bike at work or smuggle home :angry:
 
Top Bottom