Good source of background music for vids?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeeW

Just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere where I can get some music which is suitable for use as background music in vids for Youtube etc. I believe what I am looking for is referred to royalty free music. I don't mind paying a small amount (say £5 per track) but would rather it be free, I know I doubt I will be able to get stuff from top artists but I think some appropriate music makes a ride vid much better.

Thanks.

Try "copyright free background music" (or similar) on Google and there's loads of hits eg
http://www.accelerated-ideas.com/FreeMusicTracks/download-free-music-background.aspx

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just be aware that some sites will say "copyright free" and this is an immediate warning signal. "Royalty free" is indeed what you want, as you pay an initial fee and are allowed to reuse said music for certain projects (technically you're buying a license to use the music, so check that the license suits you and your purpose or you could end up owing more money)

There are some companies that sell music for purposes like this, and more advanced stuff like TV and dvd projects. Crocodile, Getty and other companies who advertise under the banner of "production" or "library" music are worth looking into. *

There are two other options:

1) if you know any bands or musicians you could ask for written permission to use their music (as long as its original and not a cover). Try not to spam various bands on Myspace or whereever as they tend to tell you to bleep off though :evil: *

2) This is my method - get some cheap music software (I use ableton Live, but there are cheap versions of Live, Cubase etc) and make your own. You could even import a midi file of some classical, etc (again make sure its royalty-free and not from a source that is likely to get you in trouble) and make a tune like that. Obviously the latter isnt for everyone.

* if you use these options you must write "music (c) copyright whoever year" on the video itself and all accompanying text

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Look for music licensed under Creative Commons. The artists are happy for you to share and use their music so long as it's not for commercial gain and so long as you credit them / link back to them when you use it. Just check the various licenses to find out what you can and can't do with the works.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
goo_mason said:
Look for music licensed under Creative Commons. The artists are happy for you to share and use their music so long as it's not for commercial gain and so long as you credit them / link back to them when you use it. Just check the various licenses to find out what you can and can't do with the works.

Soundclick was always pretty good for that. Great unsigned music site, I've got three artist pages there myself. They are a big supporter of CCL

Top Bottom