Good Tyres for CX Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skinnydog1973

Hi I have a cx bike and was wondering could anyone recommend a good set of tyres, i have sammy slicks on at the minute and they are rubbish,i don't race i only go on the tracks so they don't have to be really chunky but puncture resistant would help i do about 60 miles a week through the winter . the sammy slicks i have on now i seem to get a puncture every ride i go on,i know that there is glass, thorns on the tracks but its starting to get on my nerves fixing punctures all the time cheers for any help

Ootini

I have Challenge Griffo 32mm clinchers on my bike. Many racers tend to prefer tubular tyres as I understand it, but I don't race so clinchers are fine for me.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Challenge are good tyres, and if you're not planning on doing anything muddy look at the Strada Bianchi tyres, otherwise the Griffo XS are a nice compromise with a low/fast tread in the middle and lugs on the shoulders for some stability in muddy corners. Just don't expect either of those to managed in thick mud. I run Challenge Limus on my CX for racing and have yet to puncture on even some really abysmal tracks.

If those are a bit pricy then have a look for Kenda happy medium tyres, very similar to the Griffo XS but half the cost.

OP
OP
skinnydog1973

skinnydog1973

Thanks for the replies. i bought some uncle john cx tyres from planet x £30 for 2 so hopefully they will be ok, anything has to be better than what i had on lol

I stuck a pair of folding Kenda Small Block Eights on the Kona. Tell you on Sunday night how they do. Not good I imagine.

Last edited:

evo456

Über Member
Rocket Rons for muddy stuff, for puncture protection I can recommend Marathon Mondials- I ride a mixture of surfaces on my CX and find it a good compromise.

Top Bottom