Goodyear Eagle Sport 25mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon in Sweden

Just thought that I'd post a quick review of the Eagle Sport 25mm road tyres.

I've been riding on 25mm Continental GP4000s for quite a while and whilst they are fairly comfortable and fast, I suffered endless punctures. Just so fragile. Maybe it's my weight (103kg) contributing to it, but it seriously hampered my enjoyment of the bike.

I'm a fairly limited budget at the moment so couldn't stretch to full spec road tyres so given the decent reviews online, thought I'd try the Eagle Sports.

They are tan walled, 25mm and folding. Light, though maybe a smidge heavier than the GP4000s. They're supposedly 25mm, but really they look much more like 23mm.

The ride is on the firm side, and I've put 150km onto them this week, with faster flat sections, descents up to 74kph and climbing. They are very confidence inspiring but the thing that's surprised me is that they are incredibly fast.

There is a long, fast climb close to my house that I've done many, many times in the past year. 1.4km at 6%. My previous best was 3:37. First run up with the new tyres, 3:06, at an average speed of 27.2kph. A decent tailwind would give me the KOM.

Then shaved over a minute off a 14km flat route segment yesterday, and did my fastest ever solo circular ride today (49km, 34.5kph). These tyres are fitted to my main bike and the only change I've made is the tyres.

So if you don't mind a firmer ride, I'd highly recommend them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Seems like you can get these in 28 flavour (but they are narrower than spec even on 17mm internal width rims according to reviews on the page) for £17.49 (free delivery):
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/goodyear-eagle-sport-road-tyre/12900422.html

OP
OP
Jon in Sweden

Jon in Sweden

Seems like you can get these in 28 flavour (but they are narrower than spec even on 17mm internal width rims according to reviews on the page) for £17.49 (free delivery):
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/goodyear-eagle-sport-road-tyre/12900422.html

I'm quite happy on the 25s that appear to be 23s here. The roads are generally extremely smooth in Sweden, so 23s at 110psi is ideal.

But I'd probably go 28s next time.

Either way, a bloody good tyre for the money.

Ajax Bay

Guru
At the load your tyres are having to roll under, however smooth the roads are, your backside will thank you for a wider tyre. 23mm (effective) at 110psi is just masochism (but necessary to avoid snake bites). Wider: if your frame has the clearance, what's the downside?

OP
OP
Jon in Sweden

Jon in Sweden

At the load your tyres are having to roll under, however smooth the roads are, your backside will thank you for a wider tyre. 23mm (effective) at 110psi is just masochism (but necessary to avoid snake bites). Wider: if your frame has the clearance, what's the downside?

You may well be right, but I have the tyres now, so intend to use them until they are worn.

The Canyon Endurace that I ride on the road with is very forgiving, and the roads here are genuinely incomparable to those in the UK.

I was in the UK at Easter and took my Orbea Vector Drop (I use it for gravel riding here) and equipped it with 28mm GP4000s (which are 32mm wide in practice). I had inflated them to 90psi (the pressure I'd run them at here) and had to deflate them almost immediately due to vibration from the road. It's smoother gravel riding here than road riding in the UK!

Top Bottom