Google Chrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Uncle Mort said:
I've tried it (am trying it) - erm, it's a browser. Nothing to get excited about so far.

It's much more than that Uncle, it is Google attempting to demolish Microsoft.

twowheelsgood

Seems to work faster as advertised but can do wierd things with graphics like loading only half the image. It's clearly beta.

The fatal flaw for me is that it doesn't scale properly, it only increases the text size like the old FF and IE used to. This is an essential feature in Firefox 3 as it's impossible to read web pages on a HDTV from 4 meters away otherwise.

I might use it on my eee pc though - althoughI put the borwser cache on ramdisk to make this lightening fast too.

As was said earlier flashblock in FF is superb all those annoying resource hog "eye catching ads" and only run the ones you want (like browsing in youtube). I don't think firefox has too much to worry about, but it would be nice if they could add the high performance java engine too.

just jim

Tried it, going to stay with Firefox. I unistalled it, but Comodo is telling me it's still trying to access this, gain permission for that...

barq

Google have released their contributions to the code as 'Chromium' - the rest is built on existing open source technologies (e.g. WebKit which in turn derives from Konqueror). I'm sure it won't be long before 'community' versions of Chrome are released minus the Google EULA and with other tweaks to improve privacy. I mostly like what I see in Chrome so hopefully we'll see that before long, plus releases for Mac and Linux.

Chrome strikes me as less about grabbing the browser market and more of an attack on Microsoft. Google already invested money in Firefox so if the only thing in their sights was Internet Explorer they'd bung more cash into the Mozilla Foundation.

I think eventually we'll see very cheap computers which use Chrome like a desktop environment as more online applications like Google Docs emerge. For people who mostly use their computer for the internet the operating system becomes rather irrelevant - in some cases bypassing the need for Windows. Linux (or whatever) could do all the OS stuff underneath and the computer essentially becomes a Chrome device.

Obviously that wouldn't work for everyone since it couldn't (yet) cope with graphics intensive games or multimedia production. But those little Asus laptops are flying off the shelves and this could become part of that stripped-down market. Presumably Microsoft would retaliate with a cheaper, lighter version of Vista. Interesting times ahead with massive implications for security, ownership of intellectual property and so on...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I like Chrome, but I use the google toolbar a lot, and this isn't (yet) supported/available....

Works o.k on my machine, not come across any problems yet it even allows me to listen to Planet Rock which for some reason I have not been able to do in the past with my version of XP. Still like Firefox more though ,just what I'm used to.

Top Bottom