Google 'Covi-19 Exposure Logging

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yes, I’ve just discovered that this morning.

Drago

Legendary Member
Quite glad I dont have a smartphone.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yep it’s just an api to new core functionality in the Android OS. So any approved apps will call that api.

The Android OS or IOS api will handle the heavy lifting of Bluetooth scanning, random id generation, secure storage (on phone) and deletion of contacts. The app will call the api to start it up, Shut it down, then call it periodically, get an alert from it that the user needs to isolate etc.

confirmed update now on Lineage Oreo 8.1

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yep it’s just an api to new core functionality in the Android OS. So any approved apps will call that api.

The Android OS or IOS api will handle the heavy lifting of Bluetooth scanning, random id generation, secure storage (on phone) and deletion of contacts. The app will call the api to start it up, Shut it down, then call it periodically, get an alert from it that the user needs to isolate etc.

confirmed update now on Lineage Oreo 8.1
Well if that isn't "Big Brother"..............

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Well if that isn't "Big Brother"..............
No, it isn’t. As explained by @YukonBoy above, it is only used if you choose to download an application that makes use of the new functionality. It’s not much different in principle to the way that the operating system already allows programs to interface with, say, the GPS or display hardware.

Whether it is sensible, safe or desirable to download and use any particular COVID tracking app is a different argument.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

No, it isn’t. As explained by @YukonBoy above, it is only used if you choose to download an application that makes use of the new functionality. It’s not much different in principle to the way that the operating system already allows programs to interface with, say, the GPS or display hardware.

Whether it is sensible, safe or desirable to download and use any particular COVID tracking app is a different argument.

What was irritating was the way they just slipped it on the phone, said hardly anything about it and didn't give us a choice on whether we had it or not, makes me wonder what else is on there.

Top Bottom