Google maps, round about route Shrewsbury to Welshpool.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started at services, well Dobbies garden centre, electric folding mountain bike, need electric at my age 70+ and route

Bike_ride_route-1.jpg

Not really the best, clearly I went wrong a few times, starting here
1653880186518.png
but without google would not have found the paths, but here
1653880402288.png
ended up on unmade road, the net result of the hills it took me up, was the battery ran out before I reached Welshpool. It says I cycled 27 miles, but Shrewsbury to Welshpool only 20 miles, using main roads, I was lucky it ran out before Golfa bank, so waited in Pub to be collected, but it seems I need to reconsider using Google maps, at least when only listening to instructions. And also do some thing so I can pedal easy at 16 MPH, the gear ratio means I can't turn feet fast enough.

Before moving it was easy, I knew were the hills were, and most or the routes, specially avoiding steep hills. Maybe I set Google up wrong, the street names are good when there are names on the street, but not known of a road called 44, I will guess it was part of the 44 cycle route. My problem is the battery hangs on the handle bars, so not room to fit a device to hold my phone.

I started at services, well Dobbies garden centre, electric folding mountain bike, need electric at my age 70+ and route

View attachment 646838
Not really the best, clearly I went wrong a few times, starting here

View attachment 646839 but without google would not have found the paths, but here View attachment 646840 ended up on unmade road, the net result of the hills it took me up, was the battery ran out before I reached Welshpool. It says I cycled 27 miles, but Shrewsbury to Welshpool only 20 miles, using main roads, I was lucky it ran out before Golfa bank, so waited in Pub to be collected, but it seems I need to reconsider using Google maps, at least when only listening to instructions. And also do some thing so I can pedal easy at 16 MPH, the gear ratio means I can't turn feet fast enough.

Before moving it was easy, I knew were the hills were, and most or the routes, specially avoiding steep hills. Maybe I set Google up wrong, the street names are good when there are names on the street, but not known of a road called 44, I will guess it was part of the 44 cycle route. My problem is the battery hangs on the handle bars, so not room to fit a device to hold my phone.

Google maps is not advisable for bike route planning in my opinion.
There are far better options out there depending on your preferences and needs, but you may need to pay for them.

https://cycle.travel/ is the best, in my opinion, with the option of paved or unpaved routes. But that is just a planner.
Something like RideWithGPS will allow you to plan a route and follow it.

I understand that you want/need voice instructions? RWGPS does that (with a subscription).
A cheaper option, although with a bit of a learning curve is Osmand. It will plan routes (not the best) and give turn by turn directions with voice prompts.
You can import a gpx file created elsewhere (CycleTravel, for instance) and follow it on Osmand.
Osmand is free to try for your local area.

However, if only listening to directions without reference to a visual map I can see lots of scope for going wrong. Perhaps a GPS unit might be useful in the future?

In any case, unless you want repeat performances avoid using Google Maps.

Good luck!

Top Bottom