google maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu9000

Hopped onto Google Maps today to see what the route to my new job would be.
Joy of joys, it shows the terrain/altitude.
They dropped they ruler thingy that was in the "labs" section a while ago and ive sorely missed it.

This is my new route. It does not show altitude as it is "mostly flat". Reminds me a bit of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy's "mostly harmless" but im sure it is gentler than my current commute shown here.

The altitude window only is visible when its not flat I guess (im feeling quick today).

Bushy park with free roaming deer is on your daily commute how exotic.^_^

It's quite a weird route, though. Adding several miles to your distance so you can go through Kingston, which is pretty busy at commute times. And I wouldn't use the river side path, there are very decent roads that follow the river on both sides.

Still, you'll nut out the best route for you within a few days of experiments. Congrats on the new job!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would never let a piece of software plot a route for me - I use software to plot my own routes! Digital OS maps to plot the route, Street view to check them. The only time that doesn't work is when offroad cycle paths are involved and in that case I would search for the name of the path (the Calder Valley Cycleway and Padiham Greenway being 2 good examples that I use).

Enjoy the new job!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I would never let a piece of software plot a route for me - I use software to plot my own routes! Digital OS maps to plot the route, Street view to check them. The only time that doesn't work is when offroad cycle paths are involved and in that case I would search for the name of the path (the Calder Valley Cycleway and Padiham Greenway being 2 good examples that I use).

Enjoy the new job!
I don't even trust them in the car. Most won't take back roads, can save a lot of time with a bit of local knowledge!

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

It's quite a weird route, though. Adding several miles to your distance so you can go through Kingston, which is pretty busy at commute times. And I wouldn't use the river side path, there are very decent roads that follow the river on both sides.

Still, you'll nut out the best route for you within a few days of experiments. Congrats on the new job!
Thanks. It seemed a bit indirect to me also. Will take your points into consideration. Much appreciated.
S

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

Enjoy the new job!

I think Google do a pretty good job but its only software I grant you. It has found me some excellent routes i was not aware of as a car driver.

I keep thinking about getting a garmin but it is so easy to use the phone.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Oh it has got an uppy/downy graph... that's new!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I love Google maps. I don't use it to plan routes, just to let me know how far I have gone. It good to keep records to see how much you improve. Or not lol

Top Bottom