Google street view......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've just found that the street view has been activated for the cul-de-sac where I reside. This has never been available before, the view just passed the top of the road on the public road. I always assumed they missed our street on account of it being unadopted and privately owned (ownership of the road is divided up and attached to the properties. This is shown in the deeds).
The view is dated Apr 2011 so they obviously captured the images a long time before they activated them. I am reasonably sure they have been switched on in the last six months.

My big question is, Can they do this on a private road? Secondly, now I have asked them to switch it off (I have contacted them to explain why I think they will have to) what chance have I got of them taking notice?

Is this likely to take legal action to get a result?

I have always been protective of the fact that I live (accidently) on a private road and that the only people that should be on the street legitimately are the residents or those people with genuine reasons to be calling to properties on the road. Now it suddenly seems that anyone can wander up and down the road looking at the properties and the belongings of the residents. I would consider legal steps to protect this perceived privacy.

Any thoughts (other than who do I think I am!)?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Ok, what were you up to when the google car went past?;)

ASC1951

Guru
I've just found that the street view has been activated for the cul-de-sac where I reside. This has never been available before, the view just passed the top of the road on the public road. I always assumed they missed our street on account of it being unadopted and privately owned (ownership of the road is divided up and attached to the properties. This is shown in the deeds).
Old deeds often show ownership extending into the middle of the road and the fact that it unadopted does not stop it being a public highway. You need to check with the Highway Authority's Definitive Map. If it is an unadopted public vehicular highway - and I suspect that it may be - the Google Van has as much right to go up and down it as you do.
Any thoughts (other than who do I think I am!)?
There are more important things to fret about.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've known the car to go up unadopted roads, and it wouldn't (didn't) bother me. In fact it makes me feel more nosy when people have asked for their house to be removed from Streetview. It's also irritating when you are trying to find an address and you look it up in advance to see what it looks like and then you can't find it. When we moved house, I found it funny that the Bing car obviously went along just after we purchased it as I can tell from the half changed blinds/curtains at the windows that we had only just bought the place.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Join the club ?

Noodley

I suppose it depends on the definition of "private". I have met loads of people who claim that they live in "private" areas, yet have no idea that they are classed as "public".

Tyke

If you value your privacy so much why are you looking at other peoples houses on street view, or was this pointed out to you by someone else.

Reactions: Maz
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ok, what were you up to when the google car went past?;)
Nothing :whistle:
If you value your privacy so much why are you looking at other peoples houses on street view, or was this pointed out to you by someone else.
I was checking to see if our new extension could be seen from space and just happened to zoom in too far which jumped to streetview without me using the little man thing. Because I had searched for the address it actually jumped to a shot looking straight up the drive at the front door.

Why would I want to look at somebody else's house?

Top Bottom