1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goretex Haven

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Mister Paul, 25 Aug 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

2. Mr Phoebus

Mr Phoebus New Member

Does seem a decent price, and Berghaus don't manufacture crap either.

3. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Thanks.

I suppose really I'm looking for some justification to buy one, even though I got a new, non-Goretex, Endura jacket a couple of months ago.

My own justification so far-

1. I start a new job soon and the commute is longer, meaning that I can't walk in if the weather is awful
    2. I've just finished supervising a student at work, and will have a bit extra in my pay packet next month for doing this
    3. I have other Berghaus gear. It is great, and I know it will last

Please add some more if you can think of any. It does to have as much of a defence as possible if Mrs Paul notices that I have a new jacket.

4. Mr Phoebus

Mr Phoebus New Member

Tell Mrs Paul this: You need a really decent jacket to shield you from the elements. If she'd rather you wear something that you'll probably end up looking like a drowned rat in a downpour, then so be it...BUT!!!! You'll end up with a slightly lower resistance to colds and flu.
    if she wants you ending up coughing and sneezing all over her, then so be it.

Play the 'fear' card. ;)

5. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

Pros:
    It's Berghaus
    It's Goretex
    It's sixty nine quid

Cons:
    Breathable stuff on a bike is tricky. Ride hard and you can overwhelm the breathability of anything. Ride less hard and your Endura might be just as good. What problem are you trying to solve?

Is the removable hood (extra cost) thin enough to go under a helmet or big enough to go over. Sometimes if you want to keep really dry, (wearing work clothes) then sealing the big hole where you neck sticks through is the best improvement in waterproofing. But if you're not bothered about getting rain down your neck, why are you bothered about getting sweaty.

Finally, you know your wife is right and no amount of 'blame sharing' with your virtual friends will get you out of the 'do do'.

6. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Well, the jacket I have now is very waterproof, but like a binliner to wear.

I've been up mountains with a Berghaus Packlite (sp?) on in the worst of weathers and was very impressed with it.

I'm not intending to work up a sweat on the way in to work, so I'm not too fussed about retained sweat.

And I'm not bothered about having a hood.

7. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

I've got a Berghaus packlite - can't remember the name but it began with a 'D' (Demigod, Denzien?????). Anyway, for that money excellent value. One of the best "breathable" waterproofs around IMO.

8. johnr

johnr Über Member

Looks very much like the jacket I bought in the spring in Scotland. I've worn it on cool nights and in the rain since: water resistance - fantastic (I wore it in the pre-flood deluge and not a drop got under it); breathability only moderate, but not too bad; wind resistance - very good. Mine was £50 with 50 percent off. Worth every penny.

9. tomb1960

tomb1960 New Member

Mrs B almost never notices sneakily bought cycling gear though I have had to say 'I won it in a raffle' once!