Goretex Patch or Tenacious Tape ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Hello everyone,
My first question on the forum !
I have just purchased an Endura Convert Jacket / Gillet second hand for £25 , yes I know I am a cheapskate but times are hard ! lol
There is a small tear on one of the arms about 20mm long and an even smaller one on the other arm . I could probably get away with doing nothing with the tears in all honesty but was thinking about patching them up. I was hoping to patch on the inside, if that would be possible, or would the patch ideally need to be on the outside of the jacket?
Goretex or tenacious tape , OR is there a cheaper version that will do the job (see above , cheapskate ! lol) ?
I did consider trying a puncture repair patch on the inside , would it work ?
Oh an by the way I used the jacket for the first time this morning and was very happy with it , it was warm and breathed quite well.
Cheers

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Gaffer/Duct tape on the inside, sticks like poo to a puppy.

You have a couple of options. 1 is a proper goretex patch, only of any point of the material is goretex that needs to be patched... Or 2 self adhesive inner tube patches... You'll probably need 2 with a slight overlap. Don't laugh, but they work really well. Put the patches on the outside though not the inside, you don't want water getting underneath it and it does work. I have used them on all sorts from my dhb waterproof top to my sleeping bag and just recently my tent!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

This is what I like to hear , nice easy and cheap fixes ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I rarely ride in the rain anyway in all honesty , only if I get caught out in it , so it doesn't need a super fix, just one to get me by.
Thanks both

Gaffer/Duct tape on the inside, sticks like poo to a puppy.
Agree. Surprising as it is.

I had a nice pertex top. Tore a small hole in it on a barbed wire fence. Ordered a pertex patch but by the time it arrived i had put some duct tape on the inside. All but invisible from the outside. The patch lasted several years and through a fair few machine washes until i eventually mznaged to lose it.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

I did try the duct tape and it came off after the first ride! I kid you not! Lol
Put some on again and rounded the edges off this time and it appears to be sticking now, fingers crossed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

I will keep you posted! My chain snapped Xmas Eve so currently running, resting and drinking! Lo
Take care and enjoy the holidays

My chain snapped Xmas Eve so currently running, resting and drinking!

Ah. Duct tape is wondrous stuff but not that wondrous.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Thats made me smile on a freezing cold morning ^_^
Just off to walk the bike to its service. Be careful out there people,treacherous under foot!:bicycle:

Top Bottom