Gosh thats well thought out Shimano.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Gerolsteiner have been testing the electronic gear shifting from Shimano for some time the mechanics have actually now said what will happen if you are unlucky to have the batteries run out on you.

Shimano have decided that the Derailleurs will stay in that position!!!!!!!

Obviously a manual over-ride would add weight but its sods law if they were going to go it would be when you were in top or bottom.

Keith Oates

Janner
Moral of the story, keep a good eye on your batteries and have a spare set in your pocket or what ever. I am also suprised that you can't change manually even if it means stopping and physically moving the mechanism by hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A user, or shop settable default would probably be the best.

As I recall, don't these run on those coin cell type batteries? They'd be light and easy to stash, for what that's worth...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I am still a little bemused about how with electronic systems they intend to stop water ingress to the system. On long wet stages with water spraying everywhere can they be sure that the system will not short out or shift unexpectedly?

walker

Paulus said:
I am still a little bemused about how with electronic systems they intend to stop water ingress to the system. On long wet stages with water spraying everywhere can they be sure that the system will not short out or shift unexpectedly?

they are water tight Paulus.

I think they should be rechargable myself, some sort of Dyno recharge from the rear hub or something

Chris James

Über Member
Much safer to stay where the derailleur is in the event of the batteries packing in.

Imagine going up an alpine stage or being in a group sprint when your gears suddenly changes to a completely diferent 'default' setting. Definite pile up potential.

My understanding was that the batteries would last for ages and be rechargeable (from mains) so the likelihood of the batteries going flat (rather than an electrical failure) would presumably be small and your own fault!.

I can't think waterproofing the units would be that hard. My watch is water resistant to 10 bar and my GPS supposedly can be immersed under water. Having said that, electrics isn't my strong point!

Chris James

Über Member
dodgy said:
They don't run on watch batteries either :wacko:

Dave.

Actually my watch is a Seiko Kinetic so doesn't have a battery. Now a 'self winding' derailleur system, wouldn't that be a good idea??!

(Probably weigh a ton)

gavintc

Guru
I think the important element is that at this stage, the electronic shifting market is aimed at the race community. In time it will evolve and develop for the recreational market. A pro racer does not need to worry about how he will get home when his gears stop working. Weight matters, shifting accuracy and speed matters, the rest is just not important.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chris James said:
Much safer to stay where the derailleur is in the event of the batteries packing in.

Imagine going up an alpine stage or being in a group sprint when your gears suddenly changes to a completely diferent 'default' setting. Definite pile up potential.
Oh. Spot the poster who doesn't ride in a group (me!)

That does make sense. For the recreational rider, the ability to place the derailleurs after battery failure would probably be a plus.

My mate showed me the letters page of a 1930s cycling magazine in his collection. Some old gurner had written about the recent launch of 4spd freewheel. No-one needs more than three.... too much chain deflection leading to accelerated wear... added complexity... weakened rear wheels... yadda yadda. Every time the industry adds a sprocket there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I remember reading the letters 'Sirs, seven sprockets? Ridiculous! No-one needs more than six... chain deflection... weakened rear wheels... yadda yadda. It happens every single time and I think it's hilarious.

Thirteen speed cassettes? Bring em on!

Top Bottom