Got a new (2nd hand) bike, now what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mburton1993

Just bought this, it's a 2016 Cannondale Caad8 2nd hand.

Link to specifications (not the seller): https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/bikes/road-racing-bikes/cannondale-caad8-105-5-racing-road-bike-2016-red__9160

The non-original parts are the wheels and tyres which are now Mavic Aksuims and Schwalbe Marathon Plus’s which I've been told have both done approximately 300 miles.

Oh and the pedals are Shimano M520s.

I mainly bought it for parts: the wheels, handlebars and shifters as I want to switch to drop downs and I also needed a new wheelset and had my eye on Mavic Aksuims.

The frame is 50cm which makes it small but that didn't concern me too much as I was going to just have the best parts of it then sell the rest. Now that I have it though I was wondering, should I still do that (strip it) or try it out for abit? Gears and brakes work fine.

It's a perfectly ok bike with a few scrapes and just 2cm short of my height bracket.

[Also I appreciate the photo is crap, new phone: terrible camera. But with the exception of what's mentioned above it's all stock with the usual scratches and scrapes you might find with a 2nd hand bike]

292327445_1463243410828021_2002946766243631354_n.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
What frameset are you planning on using otherwise?
Is this one too small for you?

OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Good morning,

Personally I would ride it for a few thousand miles and then switch the parts.

That way you can truly appreciate the CF frame and be able to say to yourself and others that you have used the same components on both frames and
  • carbon fibre is brilliant (true^_^)
  • or carbon fibre is massively over rated and the aluminium frame was just as good (unlikely:rolleyes:)
Ideally add that you were wearing a helmet during the riding on the CF frame in case it broke.:laugh:

Finally you need to add that you didn't bother with the front mech as the cassette had a big enough range and 1x is the future.🦧

Bye

Ian

I think you may have got to the "I feel sorry for it !" Stage .
It happened to me years ago when I bought a frame with components as a donor .
Can you fit on the bike ? If so , why not ride it for a while to see what it feels like ? You might like it .
I find it is handy having more than one bike in case something goes wrong but also for a bit of a change . It is useful if the parts on your bikes are also interchangeable so that you can borrow bits when needed .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don’t know what you want us to suggest. You’ve made your plans for it. Do you want an endorsement for using it? If you do then you’ll have to buy another bike. Perhaps you’ll like that one also.
I never find a bike that’s even a bit small for me comfortable but you may be able to handle it. The bike looks okay but Marathon Pluses on Aksuims, that’s a bit like putting a Diesel engine in a Ferrari.
I should just get on with your project.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
To be frank I don't understand why someone would spend £800 on a bike just to strip off some bits. I could never do that to a bike.

Earlier this year i wanted a full rebuild and upgrade on my Cervelo I paid £730 to my LBS to strip, clean everything and replace all that needed it and upgraded where I wanted to: bars, stem, headset bearings, tape, cables, pads, rotors, Ultegra chain rings, front and rear mech, cassette, chain, hoods, cages, tubeless check, hydraulic bleed and fluids.

I paid £400 secondhand for a similar, if not the same Cannondale.

OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

To be frank I don't understand why someone would spend £800 on a bike just to strip off some bits. I could never do that to a bike.

Earlier this year i wanted a full rebuild and upgrade on my Cervelo I paid £730 to my LBS to strip, clean everything and replace all that needed it and upgraded where I wanted to: bars, stem, headset bearings, tape, cables, pads, rotors, Ultegra chain rings, front and rear mech, cassette, chain, hoods, cages, tubeless check, hydraulic bleed and fluids.

I paid £400 secondhand for a similar, if not the same Cannondale.
Oh I didn't pay the price in the link, that was just a specifications list.

I got it second-hand for £200.

OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Good morning,

Personally I would ride it for a few thousand miles and then switch the parts.

That way you can truly appreciate the CF frame and be able to say to yourself and others that you have used the same components on both frames and
  • carbon fibre is brilliant (true^_^)
  • or carbon fibre is massively over rated and the aluminium frame was just as good (unlikely:rolleyes:)
Ideally add that you were wearing a helmet during the riding on the CF frame in case it broke.:laugh:

Finally you need to add that you didn't bother with the front mech as the cassette had a big enough range and 1x is the future.🦧

Bye

Ian

Thanks, I've been using a single-speed on the front for years now on various bikes, always found it an easier set up up and one less components to go wrong.

OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

I don’t know what you want us to suggest. You’ve made your plans for it. Do you want an endorsement for using it? If you do then you’ll have to buy another bike. Perhaps you’ll like that one also.
I never find a bike that’s even a bit small for me comfortable but you may be able to handle it. The bike looks okay but Marathon Pluses on Aksuims, that’s a bit like putting a Diesel engine in a Ferrari.
I should just get on with your project.

Oh yeah I should have mentioned that the marathon pluses are being swapped out for GP 4000s ii.

I do like marathon pluses, they're bomb proof but also quite unnecessary for casual road use.

Top Bottom