Got a start date

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Starting 21/22 June on a fully loaded camping trip with my brother-in-law. Going to follow Richard Barrett's Cicerone route with a few deviations to visit friends and family. I struggle with muscle fatigue (PMR) and my B-I-L only has one functioning arm (shattered his shoulder in a motorbike accident) - so we have no time scale. Will stop and rest as and when we need to.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
good luck

OP
OP
iandg

iandg

Legendary Member
Do you have any goals for a campsite?

No, will make decisions on the hoof. B-i-L is experienced long distance solo tourist and has had no problems finding places to camp in the past (hoping that having an "able" companion won't change his luck) and I'm trusting him to come up trumps. He lives in Clevedon, his mum (my M-i-L) is Stafford and I'm in Clarencefield near Dumfries so they are 3 locations for extended rest if needed. We're both free until mid August so have plenty of time in hand but aiming for 4 weeks.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sounds fantastic. Wishing you fair weather, lots of luck, and harmonious relations when things get awkward.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Have fun. Hoping the summer is in contrast to the wet winter we’ve had.

MikeG

Guru
Best of luck. Hope it goes well for you. From experience I'd say managing your food is one of the issues you'll be dealing with. You don't really want to find the perfect campsite when you've got empty food storage and the nearest shop is 5 miles away. That and finding somewhere to wash.

Jameshow

Veteran
Best of luck. Hope it goes well for you. From experience I'd say managing your food is one of the issues you'll be dealing with. You don't really want to find the perfect campsite when you've got empty food storage and the nearest shop is 5 miles away. That and finding somewhere to wash.

I usually shop at the last village / coop before my campsite, that or stop for tea and ride on after tea for 20 miles. My rule of thumb was if it's wet eat in if it's dry grab a meal deal pasty etc.

MikeG

Guru
I usually shop at the last village / coop before my campsite.....
That's ideal, but sometimes you happen across the perfect campsite before you had planned to. If you haven't got food, you might have to pass up the perfect camping spot......so I've generally tried to buy my evening food at lunchtime. And of course, you might want breakfast before you do any riding, so pick that up as well at lunchtime. It doesn't always work out that way! It's generally easier to find food than it is to find a good place to camp, so I have once or twice found myself torn between camping and eating.......and camping has won!

Jameshow

Veteran
That's ideal, but sometimes you happen across the perfect campsite before you had planned to. If you haven't got food, you might have to pass up the perfect camping spot......so I've generally tried to buy my evening food at lunchtime. And of course, you might want breakfast before you do any riding, so pick that up as well at lunchtime. It doesn't always work out that way! It's generally easier to find food than it is to find a good place to camp, so I have once or twice found myself torn between camping and eating.......and camping has won!

Tbh I've general planed my campsites in advance. Esp on shorter w/E tours. If I were doing longer ones perhaps a bit more casual planning might be in order?!

Top Bottom