LEJOG 2023: Barrett Cirerone book review and lessons learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
But the lejog route in Somerset is fairly flat?

We crossed Somerset in one day, riding from Crediton to Clevedon, which was 83 miles and 3477 feet of elevation gain. I remember it being lovely, but not exactly flat.
From Crediton to Clevedon on a sensible end-to-end route Day 2 or 3 with Mick's circumvention of the Cadbury Hills (imm NE of Crediton) is 126km and 817m. If you choose to go and find hills (and I guess this book does) that's fine: Cadbury Hills, Blackdowns or Quantocks, at a stretch over the Mendips (but Strawberry Line ftw).
Route hyperlinked above and the Somerset section (60km + 368m: flatter than owt west of the Pennines!) here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44889910

Polecat

I'm not sure there is a constant agreement on measuring gear ratios. If the biggest cassette cog is the same as the smallest chain ring then 1:1 is the result. If the chain ring and cassette are not the same, then how does one state the ratio. On one of my bikes the two rings are the same, so 1:1, but on another the chain ring is 40 and the cassette is 42, which depending on which is used as the divider can either be 1.05 or 0.95.
If someone is advising on gear ratios it is wise to understand how it is being calculated. The essence is of course, that if the terrain is going the be hilly then the biggest rear cassette needs to be bigger than the smallest chain ring.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Chain ring divided by sprocket is the gearing ratio. But it's not quite that simple because you have to include in the formula for 'how hard/easy' the circumference of the rear wheel.
In UK parlance, for 'road biking' a 622 wheel is considered to have (with tyre) a diameter of 27". So for me on such wheels with 50-39-30 and 11-30 my gearing my range is 27"- 121".
On the continent they use 'development' which requires one to know the circumference of the tyre and use that as the multiplier instead.
AASSIA
See also: https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=158556 where the author comments.

Polecat

I am considering improving my gearing ratio to a less than a 1:00 number, - and looking at available chain rings with a 30 lowest (my cassette is 34) I'd have to go to an MTB set-up. It would be useful to have the collective opinions of other riders - naturally not taking into account the rider's physique - of how they managed the hills of the south west as well parts further north.

Ajax Bay

Guru
This just depends on how strong/fit you are. My end-to-end route LE to Somerset/Devon border required climbing very few chevronned climbs.
Near St Minver 200m climbing 20m
Near Maxworthy 400m climbing 40m
Out of Monkokehampton 100m climbing 10m
Crossing the Little Dart River NE of Chawleigh 200m climbing 20m
These could all have been bypassed by choosing to stay on the A39 after St Columb Major, above Wadebridge and then A395 and go via Egloskerry to Launceston and the old A30 all the way to Whiddon Down, then NE to Crediton, and the 'Mick F' right flanking of the Cadbury Hills to J27/M5. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45092742 254km + 3150m
"parts further north"
Major climbs for me were out of Orton up Orton Scar, and the epic Drumnadrochit climb to go over to Beauly (and avoid Inverness)

Last edited:

Polecat

You have the benefit of living in the area and having close knowledge of the roads and hills. Your route goes further north than does mine. My first night is at Tavistock near Dartmoor and the second is Street. Your route seems so much easier, but I've booked all my rooms. :cry:

Jameshow

Veteran
I am considering improving my gearing ratio to a less than a 1:00 number, - and looking at available chain rings with a 30 lowest (my cassette is 34) I'd have to go to an MTB set-up. It would be useful to have the collective opinions of other riders - naturally not taking into account the rider's physique - of how they managed the hills of the south west as well parts further north.

I was B+B touring with a 34-36 combo.

I was 42 at the time and fairly fit, 8 days unaided.

Had I been camping I would have wanted a triple chainset and granny ring say a 24.

That last 10 miles to oakhampton really hurt!

Polecat

For some reason triples are no longer seen as being 'cool'. Don't know why but the compact double certainly has taken the market. I have triple on a steel Jamis with the lowest being 30 but it's some degree heavier than my carbon Scott which weighs 15-1/2 lbs. It might make sense to take the Jamis and add a lower ring, but weight and all - swings and roundabouts.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well for the climbing (if that's your concern) a bike which is 3kg heavier means a system mass % increase of (say) 3.3% and implicit power increase the same. 200w up a hill on the Scott or 207w (same rate of climb).
To get a shorter low gear you'd need to swap in an MTB chainset - maybe 42-32-22 and run an 11-28 on the back. Gets you a 21" gear but a still reasonable 100" gear for slightly downhill runs. And a long cage RD will wrap that (37t) easily.
How 'cool' do you want to look? And who's looking, except in admiration?
Before my first end-to-end I was riding a 52-40 and a 14-27 freewheel in the run up and didn't fancy a 40" gear for some of the hills with hostel/B&B gear (6kg saddlebag). I bought a 531 framed bike with a triple (52-42-30) for the ride itself. Still riding it though after 50000+km!
Street YH to St Briavels YH (Welsh Bicknor YH is another 25k): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45096415 (I rode the last 75k of this route a month ago, both ways.)

Last edited:

Polecat

No doubt if I lived in Devon I too would consider something different from any of my current bikes, but for a possible one-off ride, I don't mind walking a few hills. Actually, walking helps to free up the quads and hamstrings from the constant strain of punishing climbs.

Top Bottom