Got gloves on and still my fingers are ice cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bigtallfatbloke said:
How can I get my gloves warmer? I dont really want to go down the electric toasty glove route unless i have to...and I'd like to do this for free if poss. I tried wearing my summe rgloves inside the winter gloves but they wouldnt fit. I already have XXXXXXXXXL size hands so wearing a bigger pair over the top isnt an option. My gloves are the Aldi 'biking' gloves from the recent sale.

A few things spring to mind;

Cheap shoot gloves?
Are your wrists properly insulated? if they are exposed the wind chill will cool your hands.
Do you have elasticated wrists on any of your garments? You may be restricting blood flow. Ive got big hands and thick wrists and have found this an issue in the past.
Are you gripping the bars too tightly? that will restrict blood flow too.

mickle said:
A few things spring to mind;

Cheap shoot gloves?
Are your wrists properly insulated? if they are exposed the wind chill will cool your hands.
Do you have elasticated wrists on any of your garments? You may be restricting blood flow. Ive got big hands and thick wrists and have found this an issue in the past.
Are you gripping the bars too tightly? that will restrict blood flow too.

so its not just a rumer then mickle;)

Elmer Fudd said:
When I was 17 and had a m/bike, my hands used to freeze in the winter, until..... I found a pair of my Moms 60's silk cocktail gloves that went nearly up to your elbow !!!

I tell ya, underneath my leather biking gloves my hands were as warm as toast !

Hope Mom never sees this, she always wondered what happened to those gloves. :biggrin: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I bet you used a similar solution from Mum's drawer to keep your legs warm:biggrin:

PrettyboyTim

My guess is that much of your problem is due to the movement of the cold air past your fingers. prevent that, and any old gloves will probably do the job.

Maybe you can fashion some windbreaks out of a couple of 4 or 6 pint plastic milk bottles, or perhaps bleach bottles?

Cut a suitable shape out that will cover the front of each side of your handlebars, but leaving you room to use your brakes and gear levers. (Assuming straight bars here I suppose...)

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
John Ponting said:
I bet you used a similar solution from Mum's drawer to keep your legs warm:biggrin:

Yeah. Holey tights, just used to pray I wouldn't have an accident !!

gary r

Guru
i think the best gloves if you suffer from cold hands are the lobster gloves (3 fingered)where 2 fingers go into one hole (excuse the pun)

Tynan

Veteran
blimey

by all means buy very cheap gear from aldi but you can't then expect it to compete with good quality gear

personally I wouldn't be relying on Aldi gear for anything tricky

tricky would include keeping important parts of my warm on a cold day

Blonde

If you're on a budget any 'thinsulate' gloves will be very warm. Mine were about £1.99 from poundstretcher a few years ago IIRC. I used to use them for bike-commuting though now I have proper (and more expensive) cycling specific gloves which I find better for grip on the bar/levers. The two different types I've got aren't windproof though - wind proofing on a garment really makes a big difference to keeping your hands (or any other part) warm. Stops the cold air rushing in when you're on the move. If all else fails, thin plastic disposable gloves (the kind you get in some garage forecourts) over your gloves will work and are also good for when it's raining and cold - but you will notice your hands get sweaty after a while. I do agree than any glove liner will help - any extra (thin) layer to trap heat between will work. I have some reasonably priced glove liners for the very coldest days - they are a synthetic 'wool' though, not silk, which is more expensive. Also agree that you should wear your gloves over the top of the sleeves of your jersey/top (not underneath, as this can funnel cold air up your sleeves unless they are very tight around the wrists) and the gloves should be tightly fitted around your wrists so they don't let cold air in.

snorri

Legendary Member
I find mitts are usually better than gloves for keeping hands warm. Get a pair with adjustable wrists to give a snug fit. You lose a bit of manual dexterity compared with gloves, but you can't have everything!:evil:

yogi

Just bought a pair of Chiba Bio X Cell gloves from a shop on Ebay. Superb pair of gloves for 15 quid (half price) plus they're warm and waterproof. Just go on cycle clothing - gloves and have a look.
I am so impressed I went back and ordered a lighter Windstopper pair of gloves too at only £10.
The shop was called Velo Save and the service was excellent.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I must admit I found my Aldi gloves warm enough the other morning at 5:30 when the ground was sparkly White. Mind you, the temp was hovering just above freezing, not sure how they'd fare if it was below.

Perhaps I'm struggling more and keeping warm that way :evil:

I certainly had clouds of steam wafting from my Aldi jersey going up Detling hill :biggrin: :blush:

Top Bottom