Got *JW'd this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
We get them every couple of weeks :wacko:

I cannot undersatnd the need for them to knock on complete stranger's doors like they do?

Like Fossy, I was brought up in a religious environment, although I was C of E. Through life I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the bad in the world is caused by religion, oil, drink (excess), drugs and the media. A lot of people lose track of their moral compass (or aren't given one in their upbringing, and (IMO) religions try to fill this vacuum.

err , because christ said 'go forth and spread the word' isnt it? in fact, all xtians SHOULD be more active about spreading the word,

here we go,, this seems to be what one website/church uses to make this claim ;)
Matthew 28 v 19-20

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

so they all should be doing it :sad: , tbh (as an atheist I kinda respect people who actually practice what they preach like the JW's )... and dont mind when i say 'no thanks' when they call round on a sunday :smile:

PBancroft

We get them every couple of weeks :wacko:

I cannot undersatnd the need for them to knock on complete stranger's doors like they do?

Like Fossy, I was brought up in a religious environment, although I was C of E. Through life I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the bad in the world is caused by religion, oil, drink (excess), drugs and the media. A lot of people lose track of their moral compass (or aren't given one in their upbringing, and (IMO) religions try to fill this vacuum.

The key word is witnesses. I seem to recall that they are expected to report on their preaching work, and are commanded to spend as much time as possible doing so as they can.

Up until recently I worked with a very smart, funny, and devout JW guy and we got on fine. Oddly enough, we used to get them quite regularly up until the point we started working together... and then it stopped. I wonder if they keep a record of people not to call on should it cause some kind of social or professional embarrassment. Wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Coco

I just answer the door naked - seems to limit their conversation. Although, now that I think about it, I've not had any post for a while  :wacko:

I do bump into them sometimes and it's the posties fault as posties can't wait for more than one nanosecond for the door to be answered when they have a parcel for me before they hike it so I have to be as quick as possible...Generally though the JH's call on a Sunday so I don't bother answering as I don't want to listen to all that ballcocks.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ha - it was my turn yesterday ... I'd left the front door open so could see the trouser legs as I walked down the stairs ... first though was it the police...(not in a worried way), only to see it was them. And they tried to persist ... "Why didn't I want to talk to them?" etc. Went back into the living room to find the rest of the family laughing their heads off... note none of them had bothered to go to the door.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

err , because christ said 'go forth and spread the word' isnt it? in fact, all xtians SHOULD be more active about spreading the word,

here we go,, this seems to be what one website/church uses to make this claim ;)
Matthew 28 v 19-20

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

so they all should be doing it :sad: , tbh (as an atheist I kinda respect people who actually practice what they preach like the JW's )... and dont mind when i say 'no thanks' when they call round on a sunday :smile:

Oh......fair do's

Then why don't I get Anglicans, Baptists, Remote Controls (RC's), Buddhists, Hindus, Islamics, Jews, Shintos, Rastafarians...................or Jedis?

It's only ever JWs

PaulB

Legendary Member
I became a Jehovah's Bystander a few years ago. I can't be bothered to get involved.

trickletreat

Veteran
Tell 'em you are Roman Catholic....works for me..........................:biggrin:

Before anyone goes...OMG...... :wacko: I was brought up RC, and my kids are still, but as I've become educated, I've decided most of the Worlds troubles have been either Religion or Oil based........... so bugger that........... not interested in any of it - just be a good person......... just don't push any religion on anyone else..... SORTED - Do your own Thing............. :biggrin:

Seems to be an integral part of being an RC..."so bugger that" especially for the dress wearing advocates
whistling.gif

byegad

Legendary Member
You're in trouble. They'll stick like the proverbial to a blanket now you've bought.

Many years ago they started knocking on our door every Saturday morning at 8.30am. After several weeks of polite no thanks after I'd climbed out of bed to answer the door my temper broke. I'm afraid I subjected the lady, it was always her, to a viscous and terribly colourful tirade. Next week, 8.30 am the door goes and I went down stairs to find the lady and two men. I said, Oh! Good! now her I'm not prepared to hit but you two, come here! They took the hint and retreated down the path and never came back.

So being polite is no good. So I now am exceedingly rude if ever I get a call from them or the Morons. Seems to work they don't come back.

battered

Guru
You wont win if you start them on the "how do you justify your belief that the world is only 10,000 years old" because they are trained up in how to answer the standard questions like that. It's part of their faith. In addition, they are indeed expected to preach, it in turn is part of the teachings.

My Mum has them covered, she says "My husband and I are devout Catholics, we don't follow your teachings but we'll pray for you. Good day." (a lie, my Dad was raised one and rejected it). She then shuts the door. Not even the JWs will argue with the Catholics.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Ha - it was my turn yesterday ... I'd left the front door open so could see the trouser legs as I walked down the stairs ... first though was it the police...(not in a worried way), only to see it was them. And they tried to persist ... "Why didn't I want to talk to them?" etc. Went back into the living room to find the rest of the family laughing their heads off... note none of them had bothered to go to the door.

Ha Ha that's normally what I do,sit there smiling as the Mrs answers the door,did you get a magazine then? Mines lining the bottom of the budgie's cage
biggrin.gif
hope they bring another next week now.

Top Bottom