Got knocked off this morning - ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I'm not sure I will be doing it again! Chickened out this morning and crossed at the crossing instead!

Feel fine today by the way - no stiffness or anything just a mighty fine bruise on my bum (not shown around the office) and a lovely graze on my knee (definately shown around the office at every opportunity!).

I've phoned the bike shop where I got the bike - Halesowen Cycles if anyone knows it - and they say to pop it in tomorrow and they will look it over and see how much it costs to put right.

Pain is though that need to keep it for a couple of days as they are busy and that basically means a week as there is no way I can get there in the evenings to go and pick it up - it's always more complicated than it needs to be isn't it?!

domtyler

Über Member
Would it be possible to post some before and after photos of the area around the bruising please?

JamesAC

the reluctant cyclist said:
<snip> I am only bruised and I did get up straight away and confirm that I was basically okay - </snip>!

Rule No. 1: NEVER get up straight away when you've been knocked down like that (unless you're about to be run over by a truck!!) Always check very carefully for anything that's not right, especially your back, neck and head. If in doubt, stay still - you could do a lot more harm than good leaping to your feet!!

Hope you are ok, though.

Cheers

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
How on earth do you stop yourself from jumping up?! It was just reflex with me - hopefully I won't get another chance to try it out!

As for the comments on the photos of the bruised area - hmmm I knew someone would ask that one! There is a photo of said area but it is for boyfriends eyes only I am afraid!

I just spoke to the driver and he said that he will pay for the repairs to my bike no problem - hopefully he will be good with the money. He said how sorry he was again too.

GrahamG

Guru
Hope that works out ok for you - don't be shocked if that tune changes though as I'm sure half the driving population expect a bike can be fixed for about £10.50 plus a £3 labour. I'm with you on the claim, give it a while, but should still go to your GP to register the accident/discomfort to mitigate against problems that might crop up in future. As far as injury claims go, yet another BS one just puts everyones premiums up.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Amazingly - my bike is going to be fixed for £22.00 plus £8.00 labour! I can't believe the bike shop will only charge that much.

They are putting new handlebar tape on for me and realigning my back wheel and then they are putting a new pair of pedals on for me. I didn't notice that my pedal had been damaged but the bike shop did!

The driver is supposed to be dropping to my house this morning to pick up the invoice and hopefully drop the £30 off too. I'll let you know.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
GrahamG said:
Bloody hell, that's good - who's doing it for you?

Halesowen Cycles in Birmingham. I was really shocked at the price too. It's a pity that the shop is a bit of a distance from me otherwise I'd be tempted to call on him every time I got a puncture!!!!

He could have charged double for the labour and it still would have been really cheap. I got my bike from him too in the first place and he was really helpful - when I got my previous bike I had trouble getting it to his shop so he dropped the bike to my house on his way home - very helpful! I would recommend the shop to anyone. He even bought my old bike back off me when I got my new one.

GrahamG

Guru
That's good to know - explains why they've been going as long as they have in spite of competition. Harborne cycle surgery is just a mile or two from me and doesn't involve coming back up the hill from Halesowen.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Well the driver came around to my house yesterday to pick up the invoice and he spoke to my boyfriend.

My boyfriend showed him the invoice and the driver said that he "hadn't done anything really" and there was "no damage" - my boyfriend said that he was really shifty about paying the £30 for the damage to my bike but in the end he did hand it over!

It makes me feel really cross now that after I had been so reasonable he still felt the need to say that he hadn't really done anything - he did hit me with his car - I wouldn't call that nothign! I wish I'd have been there - I would have shown him the bruise on my arse and said - is that nothing!? (That would have taught him!)

Well the driver came around to my house yesterday to pick up the invoice and he spoke to my boyfriend.

My boyfriend showed him the invoice and the driver said that he "hadn't done anything really" and there was "no damage" - my boyfriend said that he was really shifty about paying the £30 for the damage to my bike but in the end he did hand it over!

It makes me feel really cross now that after I had been so reasonable he still felt the need to say that he hadn't really done anything - he did hit me with his car - I wouldn't call that nothign! I wish I'd have been there - I would have shown him the bruise on my arse and said - is that nothing!? (That would have taught him!)

You could still chase him up for money for your injuries....xx(

Cab

He has no idea how lucky he got off. £30 quid is nothing compared to the bill he could have been facing (arguably the bill he should be facing for the harm he has caused you).

GrahamG

Guru
Ungrateful bastard! FFS, how many drivers get involved in an accident and get away with paying 30 measly ****ing quid! With that kind of attitude I'd question whether or not he was insured/taxed/mot'd.

Unreal.

Top Bottom