Got my bike stolen :( (From a secure station)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartB

Well, I knew it would happen eventually. I really got into riding to the railway station. I was looking forward to coming home in a nice sunset, only to find someone had robbed my MTB :biggrin:

I was always careful to lock it and make sure no one was watching me when I put the combo in.

However, it was gone. I had to do a triple take :biggrin:

Also found out the house insurance lapsed a few weeks ago, and they didnt renew automatically :sad:

So thats me £350 down :sad:

On the positive side, I will get a new hybrid (Never seen offroad really!)

But whats to stop some scroat nicking it again in future. I mean ok the lock could I suspect, have been better, but why do we bother when the scum just takes it. Can anyone recommend a really really good lock, or perhaps 2!

One hacked off Stu!

Cant help with the lock im afraid

But ... sorry to hear that some scrote has nicked your bike

Simon

battered

Guru
Sorry to hear this. I would recommend a U lock *and* a cable type with a key, then a thief needs 2 attack methods.

You may also discover that your bike was in fact stolen shortly after you renewed your house insurance, of course. Not that I would ever recommend defrauding an insurance company, naturally. That would be illegal.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
you need 2 locks. A good D-Lock to lock the rear wheel and frame to the stand and another lock to lock the front wheel to the frame.

Here is the correct way to lock your bike with a d/u-lock

StuartB said:
....when I put the combo in.

......Can anyone recommend a really really good lock, or perhaps 2!

Sympathies. It's sickening when it happens.

Has to be said that an improvement would be anything other than a combination lock.

Crankarm

Guru
x2 Abus Granit X-Plus D locks. The best D-lock on the market and Gold rated.

Sorry you lost your bike but using a combo cable/chain lock didn't offer much protection for your bike or act as much of a deterrent. I'm all for these locks being used by other cyclists as it means thieves hopefully will leave mine alone. Don't use any combo or cable lock as they are effectively useless. Glad the station was secure so that wasn't nicked as well.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if you have a regular parking spot so can leave your lock behind then take a look at the gold (or silver) rated locks aimed at motorcyclists. These are huge and heavy so no use at all if you have to haul them around with you, but much much cheaper than those aimed at cyclists so fine it left in situ. I've got three, one in the shed at home, one permanently at work and one permanently on a sheffield stand in town where I park to go shopping.

cheap, light, strong, pick any two, as they say.. For all three you need unobtainium or a very large bank balance

really sorry to hear this mate.

thieving scum bags.

i never leave my machine anywhere, as it only takes a second to go missing in the hands of some scumbag, it comes with me should it need to be left. i know we dont have this luxury riding too work, but i wont leave mine anywhere for a second.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sorry to hear about your bike :bicycle:

GregCollins said:
if you have a regular parking spot so can leave your lock behind then take a look at the gold (or silver) rated locks aimed at motorcyclists. These are huge and heavy so no use at all if you have to haul them around with you, but much much cheaper than those aimed at cyclists so fine it left in situ. I've got three, one in the shed at home, one permanently at work and one permanently on a sheffield stand in town where I park to go shopping.

Greg, one question, does this not in some respects invite theft attempts? It allows organised theives to realise the exact bike that will be placed here every day, so they know when it will be present, when it will not, when you will be around, when you wont etc, such that they can start to work on the lock while you are not there, then hope you dont notice the damage, then walk up and finish it off quickly and leave with your bike?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
ianrauk said:
you need 2 locks. A good D-Lock to lock the rear wheel and frame to the stand and another lock to lock the front wheel to the frame.

Here is the correct way to lock your bike with a d/u-lock

+1 although I have a NY 3000 and they are starting to get a bit pricey thesedays from some retailers. Not the lightest of locks. If you're really good at locking things up to proper stands the evolution mini weighs quite a lot less and I've seen people carry them in the back pockets of jeans.

g00se

Veteran
I've got a Kryptonite but the Abus Granite is good because the shackle is square rather than tubular.

With the tubular ones, once they've cut through one side, the other side will spin inside the lock to make room. With the square one, you need to cut through both sides.

The smaller D-locks might be an idea to save on weight if you can be sure it'll fit.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/new-york-fahgettaboudit-mini-16565

See the previous link to Sheldon Brown's site.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Top Bottom