Got shouted at on yesterday's commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'm disappointed I can't set off the gatso on a down-hill stretch near to where I live. Not for want of trying and I'm sure I'm doing 30mph - must be switched off! ;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I always find this kind of forum banter quite funny: we all dream of setting a gatso off on the bike, but in a car we'd be mortified I'd imagine.

HobbesChoice

So true downfader! I'd love to set one off on my bike (I'm so far away from that at the moment) but if I set it off while driving I'd be annoyed with myself!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Also a bit worrying, in that we are constrained to comply with the speed limits in a 4-wheeled vehicle with nice bit contact patches in each corner, sophisticated braking systems to prevent skidding (where applicable) and a protection cage should the unforseen happen in an area where cameras have been placed due to previous incidents, but delicately balanced on two very skinny wheels with nothing more than a polystyrene helmet (if fitted) for protection, we are happy to egg each other to exceed the limits for the safer form of transport (short-term safety, obviously)

My next-door neighbour is the co-ordinator for Neighbourhood Watch, and has been given training in the use of speed guns for use down our road. I've told him to tell me next time he will be out there with the gun, just to see how fast I can fly down that road.

So, yes, I'm just as bad.

on the road

Über Member
I've heard that you have to go about 10 mph over the speed limit to trigger them, something to do with too much paperwork.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have set of one of the speed couters before, told me i was doing 45 :tongue:
on the road said:
I've heard that you have to go about 10 mph over the speed limit to trigger them, something to do with too much paperwork.
totaly depends on the speed limit, on a 30mph camera the threshold is about 34mph, where as on a 70mph camera the thereshold is more 82mph.

bigtrike

Arr BrumJim,
Is not the speed limit for the saftey of others and not for yourself. I would much rather be hit by bentmikey doing 35 than a 1 1/2 ton motorist doing 29, plus I suspect Mikey is paying attention and not doing his hair/nails/talking on the phone.

dudi

I don't know that there should really be a pi$$ing contest to see who can set off a speed camera here you know.
Imagine if this were a thread in a vauhall nova forum, where they were all trying to get their local gatso to go off by breaking the speed limit.

Just because cyclist cannot be prosecuted (as far as I am aware) for breaking the speed limit as they have no permenant and calibrated speedometer, that doesnt mean we should be flouting the law.
Regardless of whether we can be prosecuted for speeding, we ought to try and obey the speed rules as much as if we were driving.

It's all well and good having a bit of bravado 'i can go faster than the cars are allowed' but it's not a good image really.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
dudi said:
Just because cyclist cannot be prosecuted (as far as I am aware) for breaking the speed limit as they have no permenant and calibrated speedometer, that doesnt mean we should be flouting the law.
Regardless of whether we can be prosecuted for speeding, we ought to try and obey the speed rules as much as if we were driving.

This bit is wrong. Bicycles aren't subject to speed laws on the public highway because the law only applies to motor vehicles, it's nothing to do with having or not having a calibrated speedometer.

That said, there's some argument for keeping roughly to the car speed limits, at least on a moral basis. I rarely go more than a couple of mph over the speed limit for this reason.

dudi

BentMikey said:
This bit is wrong. Bicycles aren't subject to speed laws on the public highway because the law only applies to motor vehicles, it's nothing to do with having or not having a calibrated speedometer.
Thanks BM. Never been sure about the rules around that.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You could always use the fact that you don't have a calibrated speedomintor to your advantage and plead that you couldn't tell how fast you were actually going.

Lurker

Worth pointing out that the law in this respect is very sensible.

Back-of-an-envelope calculation shows that the kinetic energy of a bicycle travelling at 20mph is about the same as that of a family car travelling at 6mph. This gives an indication of the relative danger presented to others.

So, logically, anyone concerned about bicycles travelling at 20mph should be actively campaigning for a speed limit for cars of 6mph. The speed limit for heavier vehicles would, naturally, be even smaller....

Top Bottom