Got tingly feet now!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Went clipless at the weekend.

I did 26 miles but less than halfway into it I had a weird tingly numb feeling in my toes.
It was a pretty cold morning and my feet were very cold by the time I got home so I put it down to that.

Rode in to work this morning, but with overshoes on and the same thing happened at about 10miles in.
This time though my feet didn't really get cold but had the same sensation ?

It almost feels like the feeling I get in my hands if I don't keep changing hand position on the bike. Is there something seriously wrong with me ??? :biggrin:

Pedals are Shimano M520's

Shoes: SH-M121G

I appreciate they're MTB shoes and pedals but the plan is to fit M520's to the MTB when I get used to clipless and just have the one pair of shoes for both bikes. I also need to be able to walk a fair distance in the cycling shoes if need be.

Any advice appreciated,

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Shoes too small?

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I don't think so, I've got them on now at work and they feel fine.

They're a little tight across the width but certainly not uncomfortably tight and the next size up were too big.

wafflycat

"They're a little tight across the width"

Then they possibly are too tight, as they are possibly restricting blood flow to the toes. Much better to have enough room to be able to wear a couple of pairs of socks and still be able to wriggle toes without any feeling of tightness.

urbanrider

I had this problem too when I first had my new shoes, I think they were a bit tight being new, try to loosen them a bit and see if that helps it worked for me

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks peeps, I'll slacken them off and see if it helps :biggrin:

I assumed they had to be tight to be effective on the upstroke.

Sigh, so much to learn and so little time................:biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning Panter. I would second the slightly too tight theory. Whilst you have them on at work your feet are moving enough to keep the blood flow going. when you are clipped in on your pedals your feet aren't really moving. so the pins and needles. Try loosening them a little bit until they "break in" so to speak. If it continues you may have to try a different make of shoe.

SamNichols

I tend to find that the stiffness of the sole of cycling shoes does mean that you eventually lose sensation. I don't know why, but i think it's the fact that there's no way of bending your feet properly while wearing them.
I found that stopping in a cafe, taking shoes off and having a good old foot stretch helps minimise the feeling of tingling.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I got similar when i first went clipless (always sounds a bit rude to me, like going topless :biggrin:), but it stopped after third outing or so. I got into habit of wriggling toes inside the shoes a bit whenever I was freewheeling, say down a hill... gets the old blood flowing...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The cleat mounting plate on the inside of the shoe is sometimes only separated from the ball of your foot by the thickness of an insole.

So you have effectively mounted a huge aluminium heat sink (the pedal and cranks) really close to your foot. This is a notorious heat loss path which can exacerbate cold feet.

Winter boots do a far better job of getting more insulation under the foot. Try a thicker insole, but don't make the shoes any tighter.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Well I slackened the straps off for the ride home and it was a lot better :biggrin:

Still got some tingling but nowhere near as much, so tight shoes was the problem.

I'm sure they'll improve as they wear in and I'll get some of those Sorbothane insoles to insulate them better too.

Thanks all :biggrin:

I can sometimes suffer this panter - its a very very odd sensation in the toes.

I discovered that what does it to me is a combo of the straps closest to my anckles being done up one click too tight, and a very buzzy rough road surface.

One of the best things to stop it happening I have found is to make sure that you jam your heel into the heel of the shoe when you put them on, then its fine!

Top Bottom