Got to love Cambridge..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...as there are cyclists everywhere! Amazed at the amount that don't have any lights at night, though.

Still, I was pleased to see a young lady cycling along with some very bright lights. Excellent. Just a shame the red one was on the front, and the white one was on the rear. That has to take effort! :ohmy::rolleyes::eek:

Maz

Guru
Been to Cambridge many a time. Saw some cops stopping cyclists riding without lights at night. The cops told them to dismount and walk...or buy some lights off them! Brilliant!

Twiggy

A friend of mine is campaining for more cycle parking space in cambs, having been through there a couple of times, it's amazing how many spaces there are already, and how overused they all are.

In Cambridge at this time of year the female students wear a special form of HiViz called a Summer Dress..... not only does this apparently get seen by drivers, but also seems to slow them down, often staying behind such an attired young lady for a distance

3663622014_3278099bed.jpg

I don't think it would work for me though

Maz

Guru
Cunobelin said:
In Cambridge at this time of year the female students wear a special form of HiViz called a Summer Dress..... not only does this apparently get seen by drivers, but also seems to slow them down, often staying behind such an attired young lady for a distance

3663622014_3278099bed.jpg

I don't think it would work for me though
Be fair, though. That's not Cambridge, is it? No way that's the River Cam in the background. And look at the buildings. Looks like it's somewhere on the continent.

This is a female student cyclist in Cambridge:
pete-cycle-start.jpg

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Cunobelin said:
In Cambridge at this time of year the female students wear a special form of HiViz called a Summer Dress
Another advantage of a recumbent is that the low-down position is just right for admiring the scenery.

When I googled I came up with this:

cyclepassion_calendar.jpg

Now I bet there are very few male motorists who would fail to see her?

In Oxford

50% of cyclists don't have lights
20% jump red lights
10% ride on pavements
5% just haven't got a clue and you wonder how they are still alive.

In the winter the police target people riding without lights and give £40 on the spot fines. Apparently they make a lot of money from it...

ManiaMuse said:
In Oxford

20% jump red lights
10% ride on pavements

In the winter the police target people riding without lights and give £40 on the spot fines. Apparently they make a lot of money from it...

The source for those figures would be interesting.

ManiaMuse said:
In Oxford

20% jump red lights
10% ride on pavements

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cunobelin said:

I must admit in the centre these figures fit with my impression. It is, of course only my impression. Saw another cyclist last night with a red light on the front! :blush:

magnatom said:
I must admit in the centre these figures fit with my impression. It is, of course only my impression. Saw another cyclist last night with a red light on the front! :blush:

Why do they do that?:tongue:

GrasB

Veteran
hackbike 666 said:
Why do they do that?:blush:
I have no idea but it's freaking dangerous. I almost went straight into the front quarter of someone because of that during winter, thankfully I had a wide beam front light so I could actually see them properly early enough. Had I had a narrow beam only I've been most of the way across the road before I'd seen that they were on the wrong side of the road with a red light at the front & looking to turn LEFT!

Top Bottom