Gout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Perhaps some considerable years ago that may have been true. However, I have tried to hydrate properly and haven't suffered from aching legs for a number of years. Most of my cycling have been 30 mile round trip commute to work so not too strenuous.

My episodes of gout, probably less than 10 in 30 years, haven't been classic big toe. They have been confined to the little toe with a small amount of swelling but painful none the less . Lately Colchicine has been prescribed rather than naproxen diclofenac. Seems to work.

Interestingly, I had a heart attack and subsequent cardiac arrest some 3 years ago now. I was in intensive care unconscious for 3 days. On leaving hospital I had a gout attack coming on. This compounded my belief that it was yet again sparked off by dehydration

Sorry for the late reply. Got T boned yesterday by a BMW ! bike totalled ! Am ok though -new bike time !

Sorry to hear of the accident, hope you're Ok. I believe that all sorts of medication has the potential to trigger an attack. I often used to get an attack after having a cold. This could be down to dehydration, but on investigation I also discovered it could be due to Lemsip!

Paul Bromley

Sorry to hear of the accident, hope you're Ok. I believe that all sorts of medication has the potential to trigger an attack. I often used to get an attack after having a cold. This could be down to dehydration, but on investigation I also discovered it could be due to Lemsip!
I am ok thanks for asking. Just bruised. Could have been a lot worse. Let's not do the helmet/no helmet debate . BMW bonnet was vast acreage to land on and bounce off
Lemsip - that's an interesting observation. I haven't found my trigger other than perhaps dehydration as the attacks are happily infrequent

lutonloony

Über Member
My fairly infrequent attacks are usually big toe. However as I suffer from arthritis( rheumatoid ) I suspect that some of my previous "arthritis flair ups" may have been gout. My last wrist attack saw me getting an emergency appointment with consultant, who decided to draw the fluid out ( suffice to say I thought steroid injections in the wrist were painful, until I experienced that). Having pronounced that the fluid looked like an infection as is was milky green, after tests decided it was gout. Have never suggested alupurinol though. Am due a visit to rhummy clinic so may enquire

lutonloony

Über Member
I am ok thanks for asking. Just bruised. Could have been a lot worse. Let's not do the helmet/no helmet debate . BMW bonnet was vast acreage to land on and bounce off
Lemsip - that's an interesting observation. I haven't found my trigger other than perhaps dehydration as the attacks are happily infrequent
Glad to hear you bounced, although obviously not that you hot a chance to try.

I might add that, for a new dosage/ regime etc I stopped taking an Allopurinol at 'night' and instead started taking first thing in the morning. Coupled with this would be a massive increase in the consumption of...
water, In amateur physician mode, I might think that drinking water - even when you don't fancy - can help. I used to do a 200 miler with barely a bidon, or seven hours in The South of France with hardly anything. Water is THE drug that cures.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I am also a gout sufferer, having gone to the doctors thinking I had a broken toe!

Since losing weight 18.12 to 16.10 (6 foot 1 inch tall) over the last 6 months I have not had an attack. I used to get them quite often, at its worst probably twice a month, and for me I think that dehydration and disturbance to the big toe plays a significant part in my episodes. I used to play badminton 3 times a week and go to the gym regularly and spend time on a treadmill - this was when I had the most attacks.

I was on allopurinol but have lapsed and not had any issues for the last 3 months (when most of the weight has come off). It may also be the new healthy diet plan... less ale, red wine, red meat and eating more veg and lean protein and drinking plenty of water. I have also massively reduced adding salt to food (thanks to a little one at home) which is also a possible help.

For me, cycling has been great as it does not disturb my big toe joint like other sports and along with the new diet... a change in lifestyle has helped significantly.

I also have ibs which means that anti inflammatory and colchicine are not great (unless I want to lose weight quickly!)

You need to find what your triggers are, but if there is room to improve your diet then this will help. Good luck...

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I have gout attacks in my big toe on my right foot, infrequent, maybe once a year or so. It starts with a strong dull pain under the big toe and then after a day or two with a progressivly worsening limp I could hardly walk anymore. These attacks lasted about 3-6 days. I saw the doctor four times before they diagnosed gout (albeit without any testing) and gave me colchicine. Now as soon as I feel an attack I start taking them and the symptoms never get to those levels and it is just a dull pain which is gone by the next morning. I only feel the pain when walking on the foot and there has never been any noticable swelling or redness which I am glad about when I hear about the never ending pain some people experience.

cycletechuk

Hi, I also suffered from gout for nearly 20 years, now I only have pain from long walks, cycling has helped. as I not had gout flare up in 3 years
Can I ask some questions?

Do you suffer pain anywhere else? (fingers, shoulder, knee, hip etc.....)
Do you suffer from migraines?
Any numbness? (pins and needles)
Do you suffer from gum disease? (Bleeding gums)
Diabetic?

Thanks for your time
I would like to hear back and also I will give you my findings, from what I learnt 3 years ago

galaxy

Veteran
My first Gout attack woke me up in the night, i had to through the duvet of my knee it was so painfull. Holding my hand about a foot away i could still feel the heat. I had a few attacks prior to becoming type 2 diabetic, so, yes mine was self inflicted, but not everybodys is.
I was on holiday in the Cotswolds when the next attack came on, it was so severe i had to go to the Dr. He prescribed a old cure that is very severe, you basically take 2 tablets, every hour untill you throw up, apparently clensing your system, then the Gout eases.

I had a couple of episodes of gout in my left big toe that I thought was a mechanical injury, until about ten months ago it came on so bad it was obvious what it was; naproxen helped but once I stopped taking it, the gout would come back again.
I finally got rid and haven't had another episode so far, though I think there's a little damage in he joint. I don't know what triggered it if anything.
@galaxy when you say 2 tablets every hour are you referring to colchicine?
You might want to look at this

This comes highly recommended

http://www.cherryactive.co.uk
I mentioned cherries earlier: There is actually a decent study which showed that cherries in conjunction with alupurinol cut down the risk of a gout attack by a percentage, I forget what but it was significant. I have found that cherry extract just by itself is a huge help. I don't always take it but if I feel an ache developing I do. Anecdotally, I find it makes a difference, to the point that if I hadn't discovered it, I'd probably now be on alupurinol permanently, though it was a close run thing this summer.

Top Bottom