GP5000 All Season 28mm Tubeless tyres - tight fit, understatement!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I've just had the pleasure (not) of fitting a pair of GP5000 AS TR 28mm tyres to a pair of Hunt 40mm carbon wheels.

In all my years of fitting cycle tyres l have never had to revert to using a tyre lever to put the first lip of the tyre onto a wheel.

Till today that is, and no matter how l manipulated them, twisted them, swore at them my blisters were just getting bigger, there was simply no way they were going onto the rims without the assistance of not one but two Park tyres levers!

And of course, being lovely nice matt finish carbon rims l have also successfully managed to leave various scruff marks and rubs marks on the carbon rims where l've tried to get the last bit of the tyre on.:banghead:

On the plus side, once on they inflated with track pump they seated and inflated straight away no problem at all. They are also holding 90psi with no sealant added yet.

I just hope that in the event of a puncture either the sealant works and or the Dynaplug works, because there is no way on this earth that l will try and remove a tyre by the side of the road!!!

And just to add insult to injury, once both tyres were finally fitted to the wheels, l noticed in very tiny writing on just one side of the tyre the word "rotation" and a tiny arrow. Yep, you guessed it, l had fitted one of the tyres in the wrong rotation ffs.

I haven't added the sealant yet, so l'll wait for the blisters to heal on my hands first then swap it around. Hopefully the tyres might have stretched a bit by then?

They were fairly tight on my HED Belgium + rims too, though not as bad as yours from your description. I seriously doubt I'd try and remove one at the roadside. They are, however, excellent tyres in all respects and worth any effort in mounting :-)

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
They were fairly tight on my HED Belgium + rims too, though not as bad as yours from your description. I seriously doubt I'd try and remove one at the roadside. They are, however, excellent tyres in all respects and worth any effort in mounting :-)

I do hope they were worth the effort, but l have an Uber standing by just in case!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Combination of tyre and rim. The *unt rims are called that for a reason.

Yes, l used the rate Hunt wheels, but as you say a combination of the differances in the tolerances resulted in them being right royal bastard of a fit and so really disappointed that the rims have marked so easily 😕

I fitted tyres and tubes then went over to tubeless tyres on my FFWD carbon wheels and the tyre levers didn't leave any marks on the rims at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
The trade off IME the 5000s are easy to seat and hardly lose air. Some careful leverage with plastic levers reversed for that last wee bit is a trade-off I'm wiling to make.

To be fair, I tried careful, i tried to very, very careful and also very subtle but all to no avail and all I was doing was just chasing last bit of the tyre bead around the wheel rim. With a limited depth to the well of the rim there is simply no spare space to drop the beads of the tyre in in order to give you just a touch more tolerance.

Sadly, in the end, it really was a case of sheer brute force and in truth I'm truly amazed that the Park tyre levers didn't snap or worse case the edge of the carbon rim!

To be fair, I tried careful, i tried to very, very careful and also very subtle but all to no avail and all I was doing was just chasing last bit of the tyre bead around the wheel rim. With a limited depth to the well of the rim there is simply no spare space to drop the beads of the tyre in in order to give you just a touch more tolerance.

Sadly, in the end, it really was a case of sheer brute force and in truth I'm truly amazed that the Park tyre levers didn't snap or worse case the edge of the carbon rim!

I'm using Maxxis levers, I forget where I picked them up but they've been pretty good, specially since I wen tubeless.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxxis-2361042800-Tyre-Lever-Orange-10X3X3-CM/dp/B00FFYY7TQ

Top Bottom