GP5000's side wall threads coming off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've emailed Conti about this so it will be interesting to see what they have to say about it. Here goes, installed my first set of GP5000's in Jan last year, they were on a bike i've since sold, since then i requested GP5000's on my new bike on the factory wheel set, and then after upgrading those wheels i also installed a 3rd set of GP5000's on those, so in total this is my 3rd set of these tyres even if non have been used to anything like their reasonable lifespan. On all 3 sets i've had experiences of threads coming off the sidewalls and if you don't spot this immediately when say out on a ride by the time you're back the thread can easily be 20-30cm long. I've avoided to pull any of these threads off as i can only imagine this not to be a good thing (like pulling of a thread in a shirt) but i have had to cut them off with scissors other wise they would just get longer and longer.....

Here's an image of a thread coming off my rear wheel (taken this weekend):

That one was snipped off on Saturday but there's already another now on the front, i've probably had to cut off 4-5 from each tyre so far and one got caught in my rear mech a few weeks back.....

Has anyone else experienced or heard about this as searching around i couldn't find anything.

The tyre above has done about 2k km since being installed in Jan this year so certainly isn't old my any means.

Thought this was a topic worth sharing as these tyres are still relatively new and maybe we are still seeing some teething issues with them ?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Used Continental GP5000s regularly and never experienced this. Bearing in mind where the tyres are coming from could they all be part of the same (potentially defective) batch?

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Used Continental GP5000s regularly and never experienced this. Bearing in mind where the tyres are coming from could they all be part of the same (potentially defective) batch?

I had thought about that however the 1st and 3rd set are from the same supplier but purchased 12 months apart. The 2nd set were from a different supplier so i kind of ruled that possibility out.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Both of mine did the same thing, they were also rather useless when it came to punctures. I'm back on Gatorskins again. I have no idea if the threads coming off affect the tyre structurally, mine did it from very early on and I rode them for another couple of thousand miles with no issues from the threads.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Both of mine did the same thing, they were also rather useless when it came to punctures. I'm back on Gatorskins again. I have no idea if the threads coming off affect the tyre structurally, mine did it from very early on and I rode them for another couple of thousand miles with no issues from the threads.

Thanks, reassuring at least

Gunk

Guru

I’ve just switched back to Gatorskins, great tyres.

YellowV2

Veteran
Not uncommon IME with Continental tyres. It has happened to me on a number of GP4 Seasons where the sidewall threads have come undone, also had it happen on GP4000s. All from different suppliers at different times, it has never happened with any other brand of tyre I have used.
I now use tubeless tyres and not Conti's offerings!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It's common with Contis.

The threads come from the edge of a fabric strip that's stuck on to protect the tyre casing from the rim hook.
Conti stick the strip on last, so it's on top and the edge is exposed; other brands put it on earlier so there's a rubber layer on top that stops the edge losing threads.

Just snip the threads off.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
It's common with Contis.

The threads come from the edge of a fabric strip that's stuck on to protect the tyre casing from the rim hook.
Conti stick the strip on last, so it's on top and the edge is exposed; other brands put it on earlier so there's a rubber layer on top that stops the edge losing threads.

Just snip the threads off.

This seems to be the conclusive answer i was looking for, thanks andrew_s

So i'll keep on rolling on them and see how they go but sounds like there's nothing to be concerned about. Will be interesting to see what Conti come back with.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Sod’s law .... just read this thread having only yesterday put my new (to me) bike in for a pair of these and new tubes 🙄. My sidewalls will end up looking like candy floss at the speeds I’m intending attaining

Top Bottom