GPS on mobile phones query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have a Nokia mobile phone with GPS as one of the applications - would I incur charges if I used the GPS function in France? I know that I am not charged here.

vt2

Guru
It depends on which software you are using. If you use Ovi maps and have downloaded the French maps to the phone from your PC and do not use online searching for locations then it does not require a data connection. If you use SportsTracker v3 then it needs a data connection to download the maps although the earlier version can be set to not download maps to cache unless there is a wifi connection.

mangaman

Probably not that helpful sounding vernon - but I think you need to ask your provider.

I think they all are different - my Orange contract was very complex when it came to foreign data transference (needless to say it's very small print stuff in the contract)

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Remember also if you have the phone set to A-GPS you will get some charge for the data transfer to initially get your position lock and possibly if you have poor sattelite signal strength. I've turned mine off and still get reasonable results from GPS though haven't tried it abroad.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've looked at the NOKIa site and it claims to be free. However I am having difficulty downloading a key file for my Mac so it will have to wait before I get my hands on a map of france

mangaman

vernon said:
I've looked at the NOKIa site and it claims to be free. However I am having difficulty downloading a key file for my Mac so it will have to wait before I get my hands on a map of france

Not trying to be pessamistic, but free GPS abroad sounds a bit too good. Are you sure. Orange were quite pricey.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
If I understand these things correctly (hmm...) the gps connection itself is free, but data download (i.e. maps, unless already on phone or sd card) will mean you have to sell your body. So there will be data download for pretty much anything you might conceivably need a gps connection for.

mangaman

Fnaar said:
If I understand these things correctly (hmm...) the gps connection itself is free, but data download (i.e. maps, unless already on phone or sd card) will mean you have to sell your body. So there will be data download for pretty much anything you might conceivably need a gps connection for.

This is my understanding - you have to be very clear with the shysters at the mobile provider how much data transfer will cost. They are very cagey IMHO. Even in this country you have to be careful to ask them to spell it out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is correct. My Android phone is set not to 'data roam' so the Google Maps and sat nav functions did not work whilst away. Data charges are frightening from abroad.

Unless you have maps installed, you'll need data. If you have maps, make sure data is off, then it won't try and get 'interactive' content.

Top Bottom