GPS/phone help please (for cycle route use)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a garmin etrex summit that I use to put my cycle routes on. If i'm not sure where I am I just follow the route, easy.

However a few days ago I was following the route when I came across a road closure. I was not sure where I was so the only option to me was to go back the way I had come.

I have a T mobile MDA phone (shown below) which I have tom tom on and I also have a seperate bluetooth GPS.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Detail.aspx?device=8802ddeb-1ee4-477a-9608-d9cd1e2a903f

I was thinking about putting memory Map software onto my PDA to enable me to follow a planned route but if I do need to change the route when I am out on the bike I will be able to do this with no problem.

The only problem with this set up, is that the PDA is not waterproof and does not fit onto a handlebar/stem and also the battery life is not great.

The battery problem can be solved. I will get an extended life battery or buy a very long life battery life extender that plugs into the phone.

Does anyone know where I can get a waterproof pocket that enables you to attach it onto a stem/handlebar.

i know that Ortieb does one that fits onto a bar bag. This would be ideal if it fitted onto a stem etc.

So could anyone suggest or point me into the direction of a suitable product.

Many thanks for your help.

Oh, I also know of a brand new stand alone product that does all the above but is a bit beyond me at the moment.

PrettyboyTim

I have a O2 XDA, which is quite similar to the MDA, except that it has a built in GPS but no keyboard, and I also have TomTom for it.

I bought a cheap bike PDA mount off eBay, and to protect it if it's going to rain, I use a resealable sandwich bag. Also, I attached a lanyard to my phone (actually one from a Nintendo DS) and loop it around the handlebars, just to make sure no miscreant tries to run off with it when I'm stopped at traffic lights, or if it should come free of the mount for some reason.

To be honest I've only used the system a couple of times, and only once when it was raining, but the plastic bag seemed to do the job fine, although it made it difficult to see the screen.

Anyway, the mount cost me about £9, and the sandwich bag was effectively free so it's not difficult to try out.

Cheers,

Tim

fuzzy29

I too use the resalable sandwich bag for my mobile and camera when I take it. Not very technical, but it was free.

Top Bottom