GPS unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Since I started I've used my iPhone with cyclometer app, but now feel time is right to invest in a little GPS unit as few rides my iPhone seems to freeze up in the cold weather ..
I've researched a bit, I like the Garmin 25 with hr or Wahoo elemnt bolt ..
Just want the easy to use unit got GPS no other bits need to add to the bike etc ..
£200 tops I'd say, ish ..
What you recommend ? Ta .. :bicycle:

Tangoup51

Garmin edge 200 for me. Though, I bought it at a steal.

If you can wait a few days I might be selling an Edge 510 with two outfront mounts and a few silicone cases for £85.

I put a cheeky bid on a lezyne gps unit and waiting to see if I win it. The smart phone integration and navigation features appeal to me and it is lezyne... quality and a bit stand out from the crowd.

OP
OP
Fonze

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
If you can wait a few days I might be selling an Edge 510 with two outfront mounts and a few silicone cases for £85.

I put a cheeky bid on a lezyne gps unit and waiting to see if I win it. The smart phone integration and navigation features appeal to me and it is lezyne... quality and a bit stand out from the crowd.

I'd certainly be interested , any pics ? Out of 10 condition ?

GlenBen

Über Member
No recommendation as such, but I would never get another bryton if that helps. Battery life was the biggest thing I was looking for, the bryton rider 530 has that nailed...but nothing else.

vickster

Legendary Member
Those who’ve gone from Garmin to Wahoo seem very happy with their switch. I tolerate my Garmin 800, don’t much like it but then I’m not a tech minded gadget geek. 95 times/100 it’s just a back up to my phone

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Those who’ve gone from Garmin to Wahoo seem very happy with their switch. I tolerate my Garmin 800, don’t much like it but then I’m not a tech minded gadget geek. 95 times/100 it’s just a back up to my phone

I think that bit, Wahoo have got bang on. It is an incredibly easy device to use in comparison to my Garmin. The abilities are staggering but a cinch to use. It’s still early days for me, but on all-night rides and longer Audax events (for me anyhow) my brain goes to mush after a while, yet navigating with my Elemnt isn’t an issue. No wasted brain energy.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have had quite a few Garmins. I currently have a Garmin Touring.

I also have the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. In my opinion this is what Garmins should have been like. I plan my routes with Ride with GPS or if I am out riding I use Komoot on the phone to plan my route. Regardless of how long these routes are, the furthest is 300km at the moment. They download to my Wahoo in seconds and never go wrong. I have ridden about 2000km with the wahoo and I am trying my hardest to make it go wrong. But it just doesn't.

The Garmin Etrex gets good reviews from the Ultra distance guys. But for a navigation aid, Wahoo wins hands down in my opinion.

+1 for the Wahoo Elemnt. Had one for a year now and no issues at all. Simple to setup, easy to use, very reliable and fantastic battery life. Looked at the Bolt when it came out but found the screen too small so stuck with the original version. Rumours of a colour screen version in the pipeline but really not sure it's needed as the current mono screen has superb contrast and legibility in all lighting conditions.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ordnance Survey now has a couple of own brand GPS units.

This one for £240 is a good price for a colour screen device with full OS Landranger mapping.

I'm not certain, but I suspect out of the box it will only pin point you on the map and record the route as you go.

Premium mapping subscription for a year is included in the offer, which I think you may need to plot routes on OS maps..

No idea if it will allow you to upload routes from the likes of RidewithGPS, but I suspect it may not because those sites don't use OS maps.

A Garmin with OS mapping is £400+.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/gps/cycling/two-nav-anima-bundle.html

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No recommendation as such, but I would never get another bryton if that helps. Battery life was the biggest thing I was looking for, the bryton rider 530 has that nailed...but nothing else.

I quite liked my Bryton and still has useful navigation features not found on other units. It was the website that sucked but you could replace that with something more usable.

Top Bottom