GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been using a Garmin eTrex for a year or so and found it very useful. It can be used like a cycle computer to track time , speed , distance etc, also if off road it can direct you back to a point saved previously , the pub , a car park etc.
You can also find your location by map reference.

I have decided to go the next step and get some mapping software for laptop so that routes can be pre programmed into the unit.

I ordered a usb to etrex cable from the good old USA as I don't own a PC with a serial port that the standard cable uses and I'm now trying to decide which software to get.

The choices seem to be:

Memory Map region 2 1:50,000 standard £50 smallish area , excluding London.

Tracklog region 6 1:50,000 , seems like the best at £20 and the biggest area.

Fugawi , would need two regions for this one and cant find a price yet.

There is quite a difference in price, but would rather pay for the best, most usable etc rather than save a couple of quid for something inadequate.

Does anyone have experience of the different brands?

Thanks

NickM

Veteran
From research I've done they all seem to be much of a muchness; and all use mapping sourced from the Ordnance Survey, which is why the prices per unit area are very similar, at list price anyway. Operationally, all seem to have their pros and cons; I suspect that the package you like is the one you are used to, if you see what I mean.

I have Tracklogs. I bought it because it highlights a route rather than superimposing a line over it. This makes it much easier to see what you are doing on the PC screen. I've since been told that Memory Map can do the same, so if I were you I'd choose between the two on the basis of what they charge for the coverage you want.

One failing of Tracklogs is that it is rather unstable on my PC, so I have to save my work-in-progress very regularly or risk losing it. This could be because I insist on sticking with Windows 2000 rather than using XP, but I don't know. I suppose I could reinstall Tracklogs to see if that fixes the problem, but it's rather a chore and I haven't been arsed so far.

another vote for tracklogs.i found it easy and straightforward to use.
i'm using the beta update and it seems better than the official one.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You can download trial versions of some/most of the packages so you can try them out before making a decision.
As well as cost per region, also consider how close region boundaries are to where you live. If you are too close, you may have to get 2 or even 4 regions with one where a single region would do with another.

redfox

andrew_s makes a good point. If you like the software consider buying the whole UK, I wish I had! Buying bit by bit means I have paid considerably more than the entire UK map set and I still don't have Scotland covered.

OP
OP
S

starseven

Thank You everyone , I have just ordered region 6 tracklog map after using their demo version today I'm sure it will be more than adequate. They also replied to my emails quickly so feel ok that everthing will work. Not for mac , but I will wantit on the laptop primarily anyway.

Just the job !!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom