GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnmillie

Hi I'm new to cycling and have been using endomondo on my iPhone to track where iv been, but this really kills the battery is there a device that I could use instead to upload my route to endomondo or a similar website

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Are you using bluetooth/external antenna or not?

rh100

GPS is a killer on smartphones it seems.

I did try using an external bluetooth GPS receiver, but then the phone has to use bluetooth, which is a drain also. So then I had an old Windows Mobile PDA hooked up to the bluetooth, but then your carrying around too many gadgets! :sad:

I've just ordered a Garmin Dakota 20 after many hours trying to decide which unit to get, there is whole range of models, spec's and prices, from about £120 new, although some older models may be cheaper on ebay (buyer beware :smile: )

So it depends on your budget, but to be honest I was getting nervous running Sportypal on my phone and risking being out somewhere with a mobile with a flat battery. With the Dakota I can just stash the phone away and use the Dakota for logging the ride and mapping etc, and if that goes flat it just uses AA batteries so no big deal. the only thing I will miss is being able to upload directly to the website, instead i will have to plug into the PC before getting to the data.

It seems garmin have there own website for looking at the maps etc, but I guess the data could be exported to others, I'm not sure until I look further into that side of it.

You could use a 'power monkey' or similiar device to keep your existing phone juiced up on longer rides.
I have found that GPS will drain my phone in about 5hrs which isn't really enough, so something that can keep it charged up for atleast 2 or 3 times that, without swapping batteries over sounds like the cheapest option to me.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not sure what your budget is, but there are some here that are USB stick type, and export GPX tracks.

I have got one that I bought a few years ago that I barely use, so if you want I can dig it out and you can have a go with it.

Rabbitthekitten

I use sportypal on my Android phone, everything is free and it's really good. It's lasted for over four hours on GPS on my HTC Magic so it has lasted all of my rides so far. I know you can also get it for the Iphone as well.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
johnmillie said:
That would be great, where are you from

Leafy Surrey

alci4

rh100 said:
I've just ordered a Garmin Dakota 20 after many hours trying to decide which unit to get, there is whole range of models, spec's and prices, from about £120 new, although some older models may be cheaper on ebay (buyer beware ;) )

hi m8

can you lmk where they are selling them for £120 quid

googled it and can only find em around the 200 mark

Top Bottom