Grammar Vigilante

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
‘Grammar Vigilante’ suffers heart attack after reading Britain First Facebook page

http://newsthump.com/2017/04/04/gra...ck-after-reading-britain-first-facebook-page/

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Bristol Post is wrong - punctuation is part of grammar. The declarative sentence "The cat sat on the mat?" is ungrammatical because it's mispunctuated.
To be fair, it wasn't the paper saying it. They were just quoting North Somerset performance poet Melanie Branton.

In other news, "The cat sat on the mat?" isn't ungrammatical at all. It just isn't a declarative sentence. Imagine if someone had a cat that would happily sit on carpets, chairs, tables, but never on the mat, until one fine afternoon, according to Henry, whose parents, on hearing the unlikely news, asked in disbelief....

I don't know whether punctuation is part of grammar at all. Is it? I don't know whether, say, "Someone had a cat that would happily sit on carpets chairs tables but never on the mat" is ungrammatical. I know it's wrong; but whether that 'wrongness' lies in it being ungrammatical, I don't know. But I'm not sure I'd take North Somerset performance poet Melanie Branton's opinion as definitive.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Does he correct spoken grammar mistakes? If so i'd like him to have a word with BBC Radio Lancashire about their presenters,who keep pronouncing such words as child,wild and mild with a Y in the word! It's getting so bad that i have to turn the radio off to escape it. When they read out the weather report and say it'd going to be miYld today,it drives me crazy!!:wacko:

There's a woman on BBC Radio Scotland who does a similarly annoying thing, she puts a Y in words like: solYution, evolYution, pollYution.
I have to switch channels until she's gone.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That'll teach me to read the thread properly!

Top Bottom