Grammar Vigilante

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Does he correct spoken grammar mistakes? If so i'd like him to have a word with BBC Radio Lancashire about their presenters,who keep pronouncing such words as child,wild and mild with a Y in the word! It's getting so bad that i have to turn the radio off to escape it. When they read out the weather report and say it's going to be miYld today,it drives me crazy!!:wacko:

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
Does he correct spoken grammar mistakes? If so i'd like him to have a word with BBC Radio Lancashire about their presenters,who keep pronouncing such words as child,wild and mild with a Y in the word! It's getting so bad that i have to turn the radio off to escape it. When they read out the weather report and say it'd going to be miYld today,it drives me crazy!!:wacko:
That would require a pronunciation vigilante, Accy. But are you sure that's not just a Lancashire accent?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think i saw an example of the misuse of apostrophes in a shop sign that said Jackies Nail's. If BBC Radio Lancs mentioned this they'd pronounce it Jackie's NaYles!:wacko: :banghead:

PaulB

Legendary Member
The main culprit is from Sheffield. He'a on air now.http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_lancashire. I don't hear the Y much in east Lancashire,it's more south Lancs and Manchester, which was south Lancashire up till 1974.
There's LOADS of 'Lancastrianisms' that really get my goat. The over-emphasis on the T sound at the end of any word annoys me immensely. I also wince whenever I hear 'an ah wur agert'. It makes me think such people should be locked up.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's LOADS of 'Lancastrianisms' that really get my goat. The over-emphasis on the T sound at the end of any word annoys me immensely. I also wince whenever I hear 'an ah wur agert'. It makes me think such people should be locked up.

Yes but are they getting paid by the BBC to speak,or attempt to speak the Queen's English?:cuppa:

Last edited:
Top Bottom