Grand Prix Vs Grand Prix 4 Seasons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I am very close to buying a set of one or t'other. Any opinions? The 4 seasons are slightly more expensive but I can get 2 tyres and 2 Conti tubes for a shade over 57 quid, which seems good. Also, any advice on the weight of the regular Grand Prix, folders / wire beads. Info I have found suggests something like 270g/230g but unconfirmed...

Want speed but reasonable puncture resistance. Yes I know I will still get punctures but prefer to have something that offers a bit more to overt them, as my Ultremo ZX keep getting flats (after only around 900 miles). As the weather turns, I fear this can only increase in frequency.

Ta

2pies

Veteran
Everyone will have their own opinion, but mine is to avoid the GP 4000s. I bought them for a new bike in June and had 2 punctures on each wheel within the first month. To make matters worse, one of the punctures was a blow-out which ripped a half inch tear in the side wall of the tyre, rendering it unusable. I replaced the tyre with another brand and have been trouble-free ever since.

They roll well, grippy and quite light but unless you are racing, I'd avoid them.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ahhh but It's Normal Granx Prix or 4 Seasons I was thinking of, not 4000S. I believe the latter are more expensive versions of the Normal Grand Prix?

Edit: Other options are Schwalbe Durano but not sure whether the Performance or Plus... The latter are quite expensive, I think. Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks, also took my fancy.

by contrast, I have had GP4000S on all year, without a single puncture - probably the best all-rounder out there, IMO.

As for the Grand Prix and GP4 Season - I've been using both for a few years now. Both good reliable tyres. The Grand Prix is probably a bit lighter, and more supple, while the GP4 season is a bit more robust, with the gatorskin coating n all. The weights quoted on the Conti site are pretty accurate.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ahhh but It's Normal Granx Prix or 4 Seasons I was thinking of, not 4000S. I believe the latter are more expensive versions of the Normal Grand Prix?

Edit: Other options are Schwalbe Durano but not sure whether the Performance or Plus... The latter are quite expensive, I think. Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks, also took my fancy.

You cant go wrong with Rubino's imho. (Rubino's not the Pro slicks) I swear by them.
My last pair lasted over 3500 miles with only 2 punctures. One of those due to a pot hole. They last well and they roll well. And at the price you can get them for a bleedin' bargain.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Durano Plus can be had for about £18 in the wired version. Bike-discount.de your best bet for the folding version.
Not lightweight, but very, very tough and they roll well.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You cant go wrong with Rubino's imho. (Rubino's not the Pro slicks) I swear by them.
My last pair lasted over 3500 miles with only 2 punctures. One of those due to a pot hole. They last well and they roll well. And at the price you can get them for a bleedin' bargain.

I fitted a set of those to somebody else's bike once and didn't like the look of the tread... Do you not find them a bit slow and sketchy on fast corners, because of the tread?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am very close to buying a set of one or t'other. Any opinions? The 4 seasons are slightly more expensive but I can get 2 tyres and 2 Conti tubes for a shade over 57 quid, which seems good. Also, any advice on the weight of the regular Grand Prix, folders / wire beads. Info I have found suggests something like 270g/230g but unconfirmed...

Want speed but reasonable puncture resistance. Yes I know I will still get punctures but prefer to have something that offers a bit more to overt them, as my Ultremo ZX keep getting flats (after only around 900 miles). As the weather turns, I fear this can only increase in frequency.

Ta

I was out the other night with a local club and one guy got two punctures (pot holes at 23mph and 25mph respectively so not really representative of the tyres he was running) and it got onto a bit of a conversation about tyres and he said he was not pleased with the quality of his tyres and has had 4 flats in the last month (inc the two pot hole ones which don't count toward my point as pretty much no road tyre will save you from a big pothole at 25mph). Coincidently, he was also running Ultremo's.

I am going to order a pair of new tyres shortly, GP4000S will be the ones!

TBH, my cheap Schwalbe Lugano's have punctured very few times, but I keep them at rock PSI.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I love the Ultremos and for the first couple of months they were great but I have had about 4 or 5 flats in the past 4 or 5 outings, on them! Not pot-hole related, mind you. I am veering towards Regular GP folders at the mo...!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I love the Ultremos and for the first couple of months they were great but I have had about 4 or 5 flats in the past 4 or 5 outings, on them! Not pot-hole related, mind you. I am veering towards Regular GP folders at the mo...!

That's on average 1 per ride, piss poor when you consider something like my £10 Lugano's which havent punctured for months. Although you might be on a run of bad luck and now I am going to suffer this weekend :tongue:

BTW, not syaing the Ultremo's are bad, I have never used them and have no 1st hand comment, I am aware they get good reviews, I am only commenting on second hand info and a crazy comparison to my shoot tyres (which happen to be made by the same brand btw)!

vorsprung

Veteran
Ultremos are brilliant but they are not good for general purpose riding about on typical UK roads. They are exceptionally light, fast, grippy and comfy. But the side walls get shredded pretty quick. Although my set did over 2000km with no punctures they are a race tyre not a training tyre.

At the moment I have 28mm Marathon+ on the Roadrat, 25mm Bontrager Racelite Hardcases on the Orbea, 25mm Michellin Pro3 on the Roubaix and 28mm Marathon Supreme on the Setavento

I have used several sets of Conti 4 Seasons before. I don't use them now. They are great for the first 2000km, fast, grippy, light etc. After 2500km they puncture continuously. There are plenty of better tyres.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I fitted a set of those to somebody else's bike once and didn't like the look of the tread... Do you not find them a bit slow and sketchy on fast corners, because of the tread?

Not at all mate....been out in all weathers, have good grip and have served me fine.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Okay so after a few weeks of almost ordering and then re-evaluationg my options - I have just placed an order! Today's visitation was the final straw...

Ordered twin pack of 4 Seasons and tubes, from Wiggle. Hopefully they should get me through the Winter and still run fairly quick!

Cheers All

Top Bottom